five

venice, italy

The class had just arrived at San Marco. MJ was basically her tour guide. "Whoa." Iduna says for the hundredth time.

She told Iduna that this place is Venice's tourist heart, home to iconic sights like St. Mark's Basilica, the Doge's Palace and the Bridge of Sighs. The area is often thronged with people, and the restaurants on and around St. Mark's Square offer multilingual menus for the international crowd. The surrounding streets are filled with casual snack bars, upscale fashion boutiques and shops selling glass art and gift items.

They had already stopped by at least a dozen shops. Each time Iduna caught sight of some fancy glassware or a cute necklace or some antique furniture, she would take MJ by the hand and yank her away.

Peter tried to talk to MJ as they walked through Venice but could never get a chance as Iduna would always steal her away. He became even more annoyed when Iduna invited Brad to stay with them as they went into different shops and immersed themselves in the culture. Peter was only spiting himself.

The kids spent a few hours there touring the hotspot and taking in the historical views. The alien girl managed to get in some group selfies with some masks and get to know the other students on the trip.

Iduna made sure to take some photos on the phone she got a couple months ago. She really wanted to show her family back home and maybe persuade them to come for a vacation here.

Although when Iduna left Brad and MJ to find some food, she was about to join them when she saw Peter standing by a pillar, intently watching them. Creeping up behind him with a pizza slice in hand. "You're being weird."

He could sense she was there before she said anything. Peter turns around to face her. "You are the reason I can't talk to MJ."

Iduna takes a big bite. "Actually, no, she's her own person. I don't tell her who she can and can't talk to. You've still got step two." She swallows and goes for another bite. "Ned told me about your plan, which by the way, is really sweet..." Iduna looks over her friend's shoulder. "But I don't think she's interested."

Peter folds his arms intently like he usually does when he's pressured. "What?"

Iduna shrugs. "I don't know, Peter. I've spent the last few hours with her, and I have watched Brad endlessly try to flirt with her but, it just seems as if she's not interested."

Peter shakes his head. "Yeah, well, maybe she doesn't like Brad, maybe she likes someone else." There was hope in his voice.

She snorts, and he glares at her. "Who's to say she's interested in anyone?" He looks back, fervently. "Do you want me to ask her?"

"No!" Peter says quickly. "She knows you're my friend, so she might think I asked you to ask her."

Iduna scrunches up her face. "But you do want me to?"