eight

prague, czech republic

The group disembarked from the bus in front of a lavish hotel. Harrington kept mentioning the upgrade of their trip. The students were just mesmerized by the sight of the building, glowing with light and beautiful architecture.

The hotel staff collected their luggage as the students made their way through the lobby. The lobby was classy and elegant, something the students didn't think they'd expect at all on this trip.

"Everyone gets settled in, rest up because tonight, big surprise, is Prague's annual Carnival of Lights." Mr Harrington announces and opens his arms to a promotional stand in the lobby. The students cheer and get excited to go out and enjoy the carnival.

Peter's phone rings. "It's Fury." He murmurs softly.

Iduna keeps smiling. "Tell me after, okay?" He nods and leaves the group, followed by Ned. Out from the corner of her eye, Iduna kept an eye on him.

After Peter and Ned returned to the group, everyone was given their own room key. They then dispersed and were told to meet back down in the lobby in an hour. Peter asked Iduna to meet him in his room once everyone was in their rooms.

When Iduna arrived at his door, Peter opened it before she knocked. Spidey senses, she presumed. "Fury wants to meet with us."

They walked in silence, neither wanting to explore any conversation topic because one of them would cave and probe the other about that night in Venice. Although she could feel there was something else on his mind that made her feel anxious to ask. Usually whatever was on their minds they'd immediately tell the other. She knew there was more to what happened in Venice.

Peter leads them to a private dining hall. Maria Hill opened the door and let them inside to see that the room was transformed into a control room of some sort.

They greeted everyone before Fury explained what was going on and what was going to happen. Iduna had her eye on Beck when Fury called Peter out from his daze. "Parker? Parker!"

Her friend turns around instantly. "Yes, sir."

Fury sat upon a table with his feet propped up. "That thing is going to be here in a few hours. Are we boring you?'

Beck straightens himself up. "he's not bored. He's thinking about how you kidnapped them."

Fury shrugged. "They had obstacles. I removed them."

Maria Hill turned to face them. "They still won't evacuate the city."

"Idiots." Fury mutters before changing the subject. "So, you two, what's the plan?"

Peter and Iduna share an uneasy look. "I will be in the cathedral tower, keeping watch for the fire monster. When that shows up, I will radio you guys, and then Mr beck and I will- "

"My name is Mysterio." Both teens switch gazes to Beck instantly, one holding pride, another holding suspicion

Peter takes that as a win. "That's when Mysterio and I will move in."

All eyes dart to Iduna next. "I am the second line that will be on the ground to help civilians evacuate, and then I will join these two in the fight."

"Iduna, Peter, listen to me. The best hope you have, the only hope, is to stop it here now, no matter what the cost." Peter walked closer to Beck when Iduna stood still. "Manoeuvre it away from civilians if you can but most importantly, keep it away from metal. If it gets too big, it'll be able to draw power from the earth's core. After that, there's no way to stop it."

She could feel the fear he had from where she stood. "Hey, my friends are here. I can't help but think we're putting them in danger."

"You're worried about us hurting your friends?" Fury stood up. "You, who called a drone strike on your own school tour bus?"

"What?" Iduna exclaimed, looking between Peter and Fury. "You shot at our bus? Oh my god. That's why you were standing up, and the bus nearly drove off the road. You could've killed everyone!"

Peter shook his head. "It was an accident." He murmured.

Fury stuck out a hand. "No. It's clear to me that you were not ready for this." The senior agent walked away from them as Maria said it was okay to leave and wait for instructions via the headpiece.

When the dining room doors closed behind them, Iduna reached out to put a hand on his shoulder when Peter started walking without her. "Where are you going?" She called out.

"To get some air," Peter replied with evident strain in his voice. Iduna wanted to go after him, but she knew he'd like some privacy. She watched as Peter went up the stairs with his head down.

As the space between them increased, Iduna stopped for a moment before walking on again. She was about halfway up the stairs to her room when she decided to stop and find Peter. Now wasn't the time to give to be alone.

They needed each other now more than ever. They have no family here. They have no heroes here. They're were on their own.

She knew that when Peter needed space, he'd find himself a rooftop. Whenever they'd call during the time apart, Peter would scale any building to escape the lifestyle below and speak his mind. Iduna was a good listener. They shared similar experiences in being teenage superheroes. The only sensible option was this hotel. She found the fire escape to the roof of the building and started her ascent.

As she made it to the top, she noticed the door to the roof was already opened. Peter must've come this way.

She stopped at the doorway to hear some voices. "Just always feel like I'm putting them in danger." She distinguished the two voices when Beck started talking about keeping Peter's friends away for a few hours.

"It's really nice to have somebody to talk to about superhero stuff, you know?" Peter says softly. His words really struck a nerve in her. He didn't think he could talk to her.

"Really? I would've thought Iduna would've been your person." Even Beck sounded confused.

There was a pause. "I thought so too... well she is but I feel like lately ever since she's been back, she doesn't really understand what I mean when I say I just want to be a normal kid. Being someone with this power with so much responsibility is exhausting man. I just want the people who know me and my past to see me as Peter instead of Spider-Man."

She could hear Beck chuckle. "From what I know about your friend, I think she is the only one that truly understands the feeling of wanting to be ordinary. You know this too. I bet she has never gone a day in her life where she doesn't feel responsible for those she loves." She has never said more than a hello to this man, yet he knows one of her darkest thoughts. "Also, anyone can see the love you two have for one other and also the internal conflict you're projecting on to the other."

She could picture Peter tilting his head to the side in denial. "What? No, that's not- "

"You're scared because you don't want to lose someone else you love. Uh! You know I'm right. She feels the exact same way. The only difference is that you didn't want to fight and that she did."

Two individual tears streaked her cheeks. There was nothing else to be said, and Peter could come back and see her at any moment. Iduna waits a moment longer before going back down to her room to prepare for tonight's events.