Chapter 2

The next morning, I awoke at the bottom of the stairs. Sitting up, I see the dried up blood on my ripped shirt and on the floor. My eyes widen when I remember that Chase is still upstairs. I pull myself up from the ground and race up the stairs two at a time. Once I reach the old white door of our room, I throw it open, only to see Chase asleep on the old mattress.

"Chase?" I whisper.

"Mama? Mama! Are you okay? I was scawed that Dia had done someting weally, weally bad." He said in his adorable voice.

"I'm fine. Put your things in your backpack. We're leaving today." I whisper to him.

"Okay, Mama." He says, heading over to the small corner where his stuff was folded in a neat pile.

Hopefully I can put Chase in school in California. Maybe I can go to school as well! I'd be starting grade ten this year. I haven't been to an actual school in a while, but I have kept up with my schooling. At the local libraries, I'd rent textbooks and worked through them. But I'm worried about Chase. He hasn't been to school in awhile. About three months. I had a small job that paid for his school, but Father found out about it and made me quit.

"I'm ready Mama." Chase whispers from beside me.

"Okay, babe. I'm going to get packed as well, then, we'll wait here until Dia tells us to come down. Deal?" I whisper to him.

"Okay, Mama."

***

After almost two hours, I hear Father's footsteps come up to the room.

"You better be fucking packed. I'm in the fucking mood for your bullshit." Father yells through the door, obviously kind of tipsy.

"Yes, Sir." I whisper to him, also through the door.

"And the fucking offspring of yours better be packed as well." He yells as he walks away.

"Okay, Sir." I whisper again, even though I know he can't hear me.

Since we put all our stuff in our small backpacks earlier, Chase and I quickly grab them and head down the old creaking steps.

"Get in the fucking car. I don't want to spend more time here than I fucking have to. Those fucking rats will be here any second now. Put your shit in the trunk and get in. You know the drill." Father says, clearly annoyed with us.

California, here we come!