Chapter 5 - Rumors

Althea waited for dinner to be served amongst the loud chatter in the dining hall. She tried to enter the conversation, but gave up after being pushed out a few times.

"Have you heard about prince Loki?" Dolia leaned over to the servant girl Amelia.

Althea's ears perked up, hearing his name through the noise.

"Samuel says he saw him in the servants' coutiers a few weeks ago."

"Do you know why?" Amelia sounded curious.

"No, but I have a suspicion."

Amelia leaned in.

"Don't tell anyone... but there's a servant girl he's been calling for recently."

Althea's face warmed. She knew it was a matter of time before Dolia noticed how often Loki called for Althea.

"Who?" Amelia inquired.

"I can't say here." Dolia told her.

"Why do you think he's been calling her so often?" Amelia asked.

"Isn't it obvious?" Dolia replied.

Althea let her hair fall over her now burning face. She sighed.

The reason he called for her so often was so she could care for his minor wounds. Though, it was clear that he didn't need her help with every one.

Althea could see Amelia cringing. All the servants had a certain perspective on Loki. They were convinced that Loki was evil in the making. An inevitable threat to Asguard.

Althea decided to block out the growing gossip. She turned to the boy beside her who seemed just as bored as she was.

"Hey." She gave him a smile.

He looked at her.

"How are you doing this evening?" She surpressed an awkward laugh.

"I'm alright." He shrugged.

She nodded and waited a moment to see if he would continue the conversation.

"Uhhh... Erm... What kind of work do you have?"

"I work in the stables." He sighed.

"That's interesting." She kept her tone cheery, but she could tell this boy was disinterested in conversing with her.

He rested his elbows on the table and turned away from her. She slumped back in her seat.

The food came and she ate quickly so she could rush to her room. She wondered if Dolia had already been spreading rumors about her and the prince.

Althea ran her fingers through her hair. Part of her was hoping he'd call for her again. She didn't mind cleaning his wounds, even if it was sometimes unnecessary. She liked having something to do, someone to talk to. Sure, he was an arrogant prick, but at least he gave her the time of day.

She sighed. She supposed it would be a good idea to tell him to be more discreet when calling for her.

The door creeked open and her roommate entered.

"Hey, Eliza." She sat up to greet her.

Eliza gave a smile in response.

"How was your day?"

"The same as always." Eliza pulled herself into bed.

Althea waited for Eliza to add something, or continue the conversation with her, but the space of time became too great for any chance of that. Althea sighed.