Chapter 13 - Paranoia

Warning:
Implications of sexual abuse and trauma.

Althea's paranoia was through the roof. She sat pooring drinks with shaky hands.

"Do you need me to do that?" Amelia asked as Althea poored another drink.

"No. No. I'm okay." Althea shook her head.

Word travelled fast about her black out, including the insignificant detail that Loki had helped her to the infirmary. People treated her the same way they did after her parents had passed. Like an incapable child. She hated it, though she knew they meant well.

Loki was planted on the couch near the refill station. She found her eyes naturally darting towards him every now and then. She felt like she owed him somewhat of an apology. Part of her was alarmed by how kind he'd been, though she supposed she was still getting to know him. From the moment they met she thought she had him down. His personality seemed simple enough, an arrogant prick. Now, she wasn't completely sure of him. There was something under the surface of his pride. Althea wondered if she had made too many assumptions about him based on the rumors the servants spread. Now she knew they were mostly bullshit.

Refilling so many drinks at a time eventually made her hand cramp up. She was still so tired, but certainly lucky to be sitting down tonight.

"I have to ask..." Amelia trailed off timidly.

Althea looked at her, pooring another drink. She quirked an eyebrow.

"What's it like? You know.... Being with a God?" Amelia asked quietly.

Althea groaned, and out of the corner of her eye she thought she saw Loki choke on his water.

"I wouldn't know." Althea tried to give it to her straight.

"No. Really. Your secret is safe with me." Amelia tried to reassure her.

"Mhmm." Althea rolled her eyes.

"So I assume mistresses don't kiss and tell then." Amelia said softly.

It took all the strength Althea had not to lunge at the girl.

"You listen here. If I was his ward don't you think I'd be living with the other concubines? You know? Doing whatever shit wenches do when they're not being screwed?" In her rage Althea hadn't realized how loud she'd been.

Amelia was taken aback by Althea's sudden out burst.

"I don't know." Amelia held her chin in the air."That's the way Thor does it, but the god of mischief has never had a concubine. Dalia figured he would want it to be a secret. He is the god of lies."

"Oh? Dalia and her theories. You have to know that's bullshit." Althea rubbed her forehead.

"Then why is he always calling for you?" Amelia fired.

"Not everything is about sex, for goodness sake!" Althea poored another drink.

"Oh yeah? If it's so platonic, why's he been staring at you all night?"

Althea's head shot in his direction, his nose was dipped in his book. She rolled her eyes and shrugged.

"All you have to do is ask for confirmation. Maybe if you took the time to get to know me, you'd realize that type of thing is completely out of my character." Althea poored another drink.

"Alright. Then what's it like?" The words were venom.

"When will you get it through your thick skull??? I'm not his fucking mistress!!!"