Chapter 7 - "Your Sister is Coming"

Althea was called for by a royal. To her surprise it was not the god of mischief, but the queen. She wondered if the queen had discovered Loki was avoiding the healers, or maybe it was forbidden for a servant to spend so much time with the prince. The anxiety flustered her as she trotted to their meeting place.

"Hello, dear." The queen greeted her with a smile.

"Your majesty." Althea bowed.

"I assume you're wondering why I brought you here." The queen stated.

Althea nodded.

"Well..." The queen began.

"Mother! You would not believe...!" The god of mischief burst through the door.

He had excitement on his face, like he'd just accomplished something. His breathing was labored.

"It can wait, dearest." The queen stopped him with a gentle ring in her voice.

He looked at her, then met Althea's gaze with a pang of surprise. His expression changed from excitement to intrigue.

"As I was saying." She continued."Althea, your sister is coming here as a guest."

Althea's stomach dropped.

"She requested you to be her maid during her stay."

Althea swallowed hard. Her throat suddenly dry. Althea nodded to the queen.

"Mother?" Loki started.

Both women's eyes snapped towards him.

"Are you sure she'll have enough time to accommodate her sister in addition to all her current duties?"

"What do you know of her duties." The queen raised an eyebrow.

Loki shrugged back.

The queen focused back on Althea.

"My apologies for my son's interruptive nature." She smiled.

Loki rolled his eyes playfully.

"No need." Althea glanced at him.

"I wanted to ask if you may need to take a sick week when your sister comes?" The queen gave her a knowing look.

Althea exhaled in relief.

"I don't think..." She began.

"That sounds like a fantastic idea!" Loki pushed in.

Both woman glared at him. He shrugged it off.

"As I was saying. I don't think that will be necessary." She faked a smile.

The queen raised an eyebrow.

"I can handle it." Althea stood firm.

The queen nodded.

"Thank you for the offer, your majesty."

"You're welcome, dear." The queen gave her a smile."I know these past few months have been hard for you. I wasn't sure if having to serve your sister would make your transition into lower class living more difficult."

Althea shrugged.

"You are dismissed."

Althea bowed and left the room. She sighed deeply. Her sister would be visiting...

The sound of a door opening and closing startled her. Familiar footsteps trotted behind her.

"Greetings."

She could tell by his voice there was a smirk plastered to his annoyingly charming face.

"You have a sister?" He inquired.