Chapter 14 - Father's Sword

Warning:
Minor implications of sexual assault.

"How are you feeling, Althea?? Bjørn told me about what happened." Nala sat Althea down on the bed.

"I'm fine." Althea gave her a small smile.

Moments like these reminded her, that they were still sisters. Despite their now differing classes, despite their feelings toward one another, they would always be loyal by blood.

"Do you know why you went into shock?" Nala asked.

Althea's stomach curtled.

"No idea." She shrugged."How did you fair without me?" The attempt to change the subject was obvious, but Nala gladly obliged.

"It was fine, but you know the way I like things better than anything else. But Dalia was still helpful, and fun to talk to." Nala explained.

"Dalia?" Althea cringed.

"Oh yes. She even let me in on some gossip." Nala's eyes lingered a bit too long on Althea.

"Dalia's 'gossip' is nothing but a bunch of bullshit rumors based on very little evidence." Althea started to get defensive.

"Well that's to be expected. Doesn't make it any less fun to indulge in." A giggle followed Nala's words.

"Not when you're the one being gossiped about." Althea groaned.

"Are you not enjoying your time here?" Nala asked.

Althea was silent, not really knowing the answer.

"You'd be more than welcome to come home." Nala said.

Althea's heart fluttered.

"I could use a new lady in waiting." Nala continued.

Any hope Althea felt was shut down.

"No. I'm fine here." She sighed.

Nala grabbed a dress from her suitcase. This one was new. Not one of their mother's. It was an elegant steal blue that would certainly compliment Nala's skin tone.

"I know you said most of the rumors weren't true, but I still have to ask..." She trailed off.

Athlea syntched up her sister's corset just little too tightly.

"No. No! No I'm not screwing the god of mischief!" Althea hadn't meant to come off so harsh.

The look on Nala's face was pure shock.

"I was going to ask if you were sneaking boos from the party?" Nala said awkwardly.

Althea tensed, surprised by the accusation.

"What? No. No. You know I wouldn't do that." Althea said.

"I know. I just worry sometimes and Dolia told me about how common it is for servants to sneak boos after the party." Nala explained.

"I try my best to stay away."

"Alright. I just worry, since... You know." She sighed.

Althea pulled Nala into a tight hug.

"I'm okay." Althea assured her.

"Can you do an updo for tonight?" Nala asked.

"Sure." Althea smiled, grabbing her sister's hair supplies.

Nala seemed to be in a good enough mood, giving Althea the courage to ask a question that had been burdening her.

"Nala? Do... Do you have mother and father's will?" She asked.