Chapter 11 - The First Celebration

Althea had to drag herself out of bed that morning. She didn't have time to get breakfast because Nala had already called for her.

For most of the day she was being tossed back and fourth between the demands of Dalia and Nala. She barely had enough time to put on her server gown. She spent almost five minutes trying to get the zipper up until Eliza stopped by and helped her. Althea was starting to look foward to the party. She would be doing one thing and one thing only. Regardless of Nala's demands.

"Would you help me zip up this dress?" Nala asked Althea.

Another tedious task. Bjørn could have easily done most of the things she's been aiding her sister in. Althea looked at herself in the mirror beside her sister. It sincerely depressed her. Nala looked better than Althea ever could in their mother's formal gown. Althea always felt like a lesser version of her sister. It almost felt as though her sister got all their parents' jeans and Althea was made up of the scraps.

"You look beautiful." Althea tried to sound more complimentary than disappointed.

She wished she could be happy for her sister.

"Thank you!" Nala admired herself in the mirror."So do you!" She took note of Althea's server gown.

"I look like everyone else." She mumbled."Will that be all?" Althea asked.

"I believe so!" Nala told her."Bjørn! Come admire your wife!"

Althea rushed out of the room. When she was through the door she let out a breath of relief, having not realized she was holding her breath.

That night she used her reflexes as a warrior to her advantage. She dodged stumbling guests with ease and never spilled a drop of wine. Navigating through the crowds all while handing out drinks and balancing her tray was like a dance. She liked being able to walk with purpose in time with the music. It was oddly satisfying.

Althea hadn't seen Loki all night and the suspense was killing her. She had a very real fear that he would ask her to dance. She wasn't sure if that would make a scene, but she knew that it would be damning evidence to the rumors Dalia had spread around. The thought mortified her, but part of her also wanted to try dancing with him while the music played. Part of her wanted the excuse to step on his shoes and fight for control even though she knew he was supposed to lead. There was something about resistence that made it more enjoyable. He messed with her all the time, this was a way she could bite back.

Althea continued passing drinks around until her tray was empty. She made her way to the end of the room where other servers were rinsing and refilling wine glasses. She piled on as many as she could on her tray. The main doors to the ballroom whisked open and entering from them was Loki. He certainly liked to make an entrance. He wore his battle gear, decorated with golden armor. He looked... Stunning. His black locks flowed behind him as he strode into the room. Many people gawked or whispered as he passed by. None of them spoke to him. Infact if he walked remotely near anyone they would back away like he had the plague. Even the servers avoided him.

He became old news quickly and most people went back to normal. Ignoring him for the most part. They were more subtle in how they dealt with their avoidance. Althea travelled through the crowd and debated whether to bring the tray round to him. She felt bad that no one was engaging with him, but his expression did not indicate he minded. Althea supposed she would get their interaction over with.

"Althea." He smiled.

She stopped to hand him a glass of wine.

"Not tonight, thank you." He waved his hands.

She nodded and began to walk away.

"You look lovely tonight." He said.

Her skin suddenly felt cold and she tensed remembering how the dress exposed her body.