-Chapter 2-

NEWS: KANE PORTER--- SPOTTED NEAR EAST STREET--- RAN--- CALLER REPORTED ESCAPEE WAS NOT ALONE--- THREE OTHERS--- LOOKED TO BE MALE--- UNKNOWN--- KANE PORTER--- SPOTTED NEAR EAST STREET---

  I push my LR-5 into my pocket, picking up my pace. I’m two blocks away from East Street, and that call was placed at least five minutes ago. I’ll be lucky to even find a trace of Kane Porter let alone Kane himself.

  I hear shouts as I run, Beggars asking for money, business men telling me to watch where I am going. I break into a full out sprint. Cutting corners, running across grass. I reach East Street within five minute, slowing to a jog. I breathe heavily, but I try to not let it bother me. I look around, disappointed to only see the bank, and a stray dog picking at something on the ground. He probably took River Lane, and retreated to some back alley. That’s what I would have done if I was being perused by the Government.

  I walk towards River Lane, looking left and right, hoping to catch a glimpse of either Kane or one of the people who had been spotted with him.

  My LR-5 vibrates, and I almost decide not to look at it, figuring it will only waste my time. I pull it out anyway, though, hoping for some help.

  NEWS: KANE PORTER--- GOVERNMENT AGENTS FAILED IN PURSUIT--- CONFIRMED THREE MALE COMPANIONS---

  I’m about to put my LR-5 away when something new flashes across the screen.

  REWARD OF $2,000 FOR ANYONE WHO CALLS IN WITH HELPFUL INFORMATION ON KANE PORTER---

  I almost laugh at that. If they are willing to pay $2,000 dollars to someone who calls in with a potentially false tip, how much are they willing to give to the person who brings him in?

  I pick up my jog again, heading in the direction of River Lane. Only a few people wander on River Lane, making it easy to navigate through them. I look down every alley, hoping for a glimpse of someone, whether Kane or one of the guys he has picked up along the way.

  I try to remember the picture I saw the other day of Kane Porter. The picture that had floated across my LR-5’s screen. He had dark brown hair, and a narrow, hallow face. Brown eyes and a kind looking smile. I guarantee the smile was what threw many off. How could a criminal have a kind smile? I have found that most do, that’s why it’s so hard to discern them from anyone else.

  I hear a dog barking, and I look down a particularly dumpy alley, and see someone climbing over a barb wire fence. Someone wearing a black leather jacket, being pulled over by another person. I don’t have to see how many are there, or their faces to know I have finally caught up to Kane Porter and his groupies.

  “Hey!” I shout, my voice taught and exhausted from running all afternoon.  I hear the group shout, shouting directions and warnings.

  I sprint toward the fence, hoping to high heavens that I can climb it.

  I jump up, catching my fingers on the wire. My balance is poor, so climbing the fence is a challenge. I hear the voices of the runaways fading and my heart rate accelerates. I’m going to lose them.

  I hop off of the fence, landing on the balls of my feet. I take off running again, heading towards the voices and shouting I hear.

  I make it back onto East Street, but looking to my left and right, I can’t see anyone except for curious onlookers.

  My LR-5 vibrates again, and I’m tempted to chuck it across the pavement. I pull it out, tears blurring my vision. My stomach and head are exploding with pain, causing tears to stream down my cheeks, but I ignore the salty liquid.

  NEWS: KANE PORTER--- LAST SEEN RUNNING FROM A BACK ALLEY--- CONNECTED TO RIVER LANE--- CHASED BY BEGGAR--- GOT AWAY--- BE ON THE LOOKOUT--- EAST STREET--- REWARD--- STILL $2,000--- KANE PORTER---

  I bristle at the crude name they had used to describe me. Of course, that’s what I am… technically.

  I had been so close. I had seen him, or at least one of his followers. I bet the Government never got that close, I think to myself, chuckling slightly at the thought.

  A business man pushes past me, shoving me out of his way. I shove back and the man looks appalled. He probably isn’t used to being fought back. I just shrug, heading back towards Pine Street. The hubbub of the Beggars has only increased, as they have begun their performances,

  I hear the squealing notes of a violin and envision the old dark man I had seen less than a half hour ago. I hear the sweet melody of a woman singing, her voice rising over the sour notes played by the old man.

  I don’t have a talent. I don’t usually earn much money because of it. Most of my money comes from bartering with another Beggar. I give them fresh bread, I get a dollar. That’s how it works around here.

  A woman that I have traded with before walks toward me, holding a bag of nickels and dimes in her palm.

  “Got any bread?” She asks, her hair tangled, her eyes wide.

  I just shake my head, pushing past her. I could have gotten Kane Porter. I could have.

  I could have already been on my way to the nearest Government bunker, asking them for a chance to prove myself. I could have asked for my family.

  The thought creates a dark cloud over me. Kane Porter couldn’t have cooperated?

  Beggars shove items they wish to trade in front of me, but I just shrug off their offers. After my false hope this morning, any offer they have will pale in comparison. I could try again tomorrow, but by tomorrow he could be half way to China. I really can’t do anything.

  I head back over to the dumpster I had sat on earlier. A woman is sitting on top of it, clutching a baby to her chest. She looks up, her eyes wide.

  “Is this your dumpster?” She asks, her voice timid.

  “No,” I say, shrugging. “It’s not mine.”

  I take a seat on the cracked, damp alley floor.

  I’m about to lay down for a nap when my LR-5 vibrates yet again.

  I almost ignore it, but that’s hard to do.

  NEWS: ONE MALE--- CAUCASIAN--- RAN WITH KANE PORTER--- CAUGHT--- SENTENCED TO CONFINEMENT--- REFUSES TO GIVE UP THE CURRENT LOCATION OF  KANE PORTER--- ONE MALE---

  I block out the rest of my LR-5’s notifications, and let sleep take me away from my problems.  

A/N I hope you are enjoying this story so far! In honor of Valentine's Day, I updated twice :) Please leave feedback, and vote!

Happy Valentine's Day!