-Chapter 23-

When we finally arrive back to the hideout, it is completely dark, and I stumble around, looking for a way to exit the vehicle. Someone helps me down, and I mutter a quick thank you before heading straight to the entrance. Part of me remembers how strange it was for me; the first time I came through this tunnel. Now it seems perfectly normal.

The men around me give a big whoop as we emerge into the main area, alerting everyone to our presence. The men seated in the big open room come to greet us, shouting their praise to us, telling us about our message already making the News. I feel a swell of pride at the thought of our symbol I helped to paint being thrown from News station to News station. Kane pats my shoulder, and tells everyone about how I helped him to paint the 'work of art,' or at least that's how he describes it.

Everyone claps my shoulder, and I have to subdue the feeling of claustrophobia that begins to swell in my chest. There's a lot of men in this room, and they are all crowded around me and the others that went along with my plan. My plan may not have turned out how I thought it would, but I'm starting to think that it turned out better. I feel like I've been on the wrong side my whole life. Even when I was "against" the Government because of my Abandonment, I wasn't really. I still followed their rules, and believed the lies they told us. I was just as under their influence in the streets as I was when I lived with my family. It is only now, with this band of misfits, that I am finally rebelling against the people that tore my family apart. It is only now that I can fully understand why the Government wants Kane gone. It isn't even because of the trouble he causes; not really. They are afraid of him because of what he is capable of doing. He can sway people's thoughts with a single speech. He is the symbol of hope.

I look at where Kane is standing. I observe the men crowded around him, and I see something in their eyes I hadn't ever really noticed before. Hope. They believe in Kane, and will do anything to help them, even at the expense of their lives.

I grab Kane's arm without thinking, but he doesn't even jump. He seems to understand, and he dismisses everyone back to whatever they were doing before we intruded. As the group splits, I form my speech in my mind.

"Is something wrong?" Kane asks, and I almost shake my head no, but then I think about it. Maybe something is wrong; or more correctly, was wrong.

"Actually yes," I say, and he looks almost surprised. "I am very sorry for how I mislead you all. That was wrong. I shouldn't have ever even considered it. And for my bad decision, I understand that I deserve whatever punishment is coming."

Kane laughs. For a second I think I'm mistaken, but no, he really is. He's laughing so hard, a lot of people have turned to see what the commotion is all about. Kane notices, and attempts to put on a straight face again, but he looks like he'll burst out laughing again any second despite his attempt.

"What do you mean by punishment?" He asks. "Do we look like the Government?"

I suddenly realize I must have insulted him, so I try to back pedal, hoping to dig my way out, not get deeper.

"No, I just assumed that my actions would have consequences," I say.

"Your actions did have consequences," Kane says quietly. "They saved my life, and if that deserves punishment, it won't come from my men and I. We owe you. I owe you."

I am taken aback by his praise. Maybe by saving him from being discovered, I proved myself. Maybe our little dance was forgotten and thrown away with all his other forgotten grudges. Maybe, for once, I did something helpful instead of harmful.

We all turn in early, wanting to do nothing more than sleep. I find Amelia already resting in her box by my bed, Tommy curled up on my mattress. I want to go to bed and forget the day's tiresome events, but I can't find it in myself to wake Tommy up. He looks far too peaceful. I walk silently over to Amelia, and see that she is completely asleep, her soft snoring giving her away.