-Chapter 32-

"Hey, Felisha, wake up," I hear Charlie say. I sit up, startled to have Charlie be the one waking me up. I look down at the mattress that Kane sleeps on, and am surprised to see him there, which only adds to my confusion. He's still asleep, so I'm guessing we aren't all in any danger.

  "What's going on Charlie?" I ask, groggily, swiping my hand over my eyes.

  "Me and the guys are setting up a surprise party for Kane. Today's his birthday, but I'm sure he didn't tell you. He hates when we make a big deal about it, which is why we have to," Charlie smirks. "You can help decorate and set up if you want, but we will need someone to keep Kane out of Paul's workroom. Up for the challenge?"

  Even though I'm half awake, I easily form a comeback. "What challenge?"

  "Excellent."

  "Awe, look who's up," I say, reaching for Amelia. Charlie left, telling me the party would take place at lunch. He would've preferred dinner, but he wasn't sure that we could all keep quiet that long.

  "I'm guessing you weren't talking about me," I hear Kane say groggily. I see him sit up, stretching his arms behind his back.

  "No, sorry," I say. "But it's nice to see you're awake too." Charlie asked me to act completely oblivious to the fact that today is Kane' birthday. So that means no birthday wishes until lunch rolls around, or else he may catch on.

  "I haven't slept that good in a while," Kane says, yawning. "That workout was tiring."

  I nod, cuddling Amelia, resting her head in the crook of my neck. "I think Amelia agrees. She slept pretty well after that tiring fit she had last night." Even though I had been sure she would calm down, a few minutes after I had drifted off, she had started up.

  "I honestly didn't really notice. I zonked out the second my head hit the pillow," Kane admits sheepishly. Kane must have had enough time to strip his shirt off though, because all I can see is his bronze skin. I notice black ink that wraps around his left tricep, and then I remember him talking about the numerous tattoos the Government has given him. The one on his arm doesn't look like what he described.

  "Is that a Government tattoo?" I ask, pointing to the swirl of ink on his arm.

  He laughs, a grin curling his lips. "I'm actually fond of that one. I have done many things over the years-small things-to rebel against the Government. This tattoo is one of those things." Kane stands, and comes to sit by me on the bed. I move my legs, leaving him room at the foot of the bed. "I got this tattoo when I turned sixteen. I was tired of getting all that ink on my body because the Government ordered it to happen. So-even though I don't really want another tattoo-I got this one to prove that I still have some control. Over myself and what happens to me. That probably sounds ridiculous."

  I set Amelia in her crib, then sit back against the headboard.

  "I don't think it's ridiculous at all," I admit. "In fact, I find it admirable."

  I reach out and run my finger along Kane's tattoo. I hear his breath catch, slightly startled by the sudden touch. He soon recovers his calm demeanor and sits idly while I look at the tattoo.

  "I always joked about getting my arms covered in tattoos when I lived on the streets, but I could never actually get one," I admit. I'm way too squeamish, and the idea of having my skin cluttered with ink never really appealed to me.

  "That'd be a sight," Kane winks, and then turns so that his back is facing me. I'm surprised yet again by the amount of ink on his back. But these tattoos weren't Kane's choice. The Government left their mark, all over Kane's back. I don't dare touch this ink, not wanting to be anywhere near the mark. I've seen it far too many times.