-Chapter 30-

Charlie nods, taking the LR-5 back. I swallow the ever growing lump in my throat, feeling my hands start to shake. The Government has decided to put aside their act, and tell everyone the truth. If they are willing to do that; to risk letting their citizens know that they have been lying, then something big is going on. And Kane and I are right in the middle of it.

   "Does Kane know?" I ask, finally able to turn my rapid thoughts into words. I feel my hair sticking to the nape of my neck. "Have you told him?"

   Charlie shakes his head, taking a seat on the bed. "Once I heard, I decided to tell you first. After all that's gone on lately, I think it'd be best if you give him the news. He'll take it better if it comes from you."

   I let that sink in, taking in the responsibility Charlie is giving me. He may be right. Kane has been much more lenient with me lately, compared to Charlie.

   "He's in his office at the moment," Charlie informs me. "I'll watch Amelia while you're gone."

   I work my way down the hall, trying to formulate a calm way to relay the news to Kane. So far, I haven't come up with anything worthwhile. Any way I say it, it will be hard for him.

   "Come in," Kane says when I knock on the door, and I let myself in. I slip into a seat near his desk, and try to formulate my words yet again. There really is no easy way to break this news to him.

   Kane rests his elbows against his desk, and leans forward, waiting for me to speak up. "Is something wrong?" He asks, and again I wonder if he is somehow capable of reading minds. Maybe I'm just that transparent. Either way, he knows something's up. I decide to just rip off the bandage and get on with it.

   "They saw both of us at the Social Gathering Kane," I pause, waiting to see if he understands what I'm saying, then decide to continue. "When we didn't have our UCPs on, they saw us. We've been on the News; they know who I am, and they know you aren't dead."

   Kane's jaw visibly tightens, and he slams his fist on his desk, causing me to jump. He stands, pacing to the far side of the room, grabbing an LR-5 from a shelf near the door. He turns on the projector, and suddenly a News segment appears on the screen. Again, I am greeted by mine and Kane's faces.

   "I should have known better!" Kane says, and he slams his hand against the wall.

   "Kane, it's fine. You couldn't have known that they'd see you while we were dancing," I say, hoping to help calm him down.

  "I'm not upset about that," He says. "I'm pretty sure they already knew about me, but they had no idea about you. I should have been more careful with my UCP, and because of my narrow mindedness I have put you in danger."

   "Kane, it really is okay. I was the one who offered you my UCP; I knew the risk I was taking," I say, pointing to the screen. "And look, the picture of me is pretty fuzzy. It really is going to be fine."

  Kane swallows, running his hand roughly over his bicep. He comes and takes a seat in the chair directly beside me instead of the chair across the desk. He puts his hand on my shoulder, and again begins to apologize for something he can't help.

   "Kane," I say yet again, hoping this time he'll actually hear me out. "It was an easy mistake. No matter how many times you apologize, that won't change what happened, and I understand that. But it also won't change how I feel about the whole ordeal. Getting you out of that place was important to me after all I had done, and knowing the possible consequences, I gave you my UCP. Don't blame yourself more than you have to," I finish, expecting him to go off again, apologizing profusely for how everything has turned out.