-Chapter 45-

I let myself in, still surprised that I have access. I walk quickly to Kane's bedroom, and throw myself onto his bed, wrapping the blankets around my shoulders. They smell like him. They smell like his cologne, the same cologne that used to comfort me back at the old hideout when things weren't going to plan. The only difference is that the stale smell of smoke is absent, replaced with the clean smell of fresh sheets.

I stare at the ceiling fan as it spins quickly, blowing cool air onto my face. Something is going on, and I am struggling to put my finger on it. Or maybe I want to stay in the dark. Maybe that is the easier and safer action.

I hear the front door close, and I bury myself under the covers, not ready to deal with Kane.

"You and Kane are both always just running off," I hear Andrea say, and I suppress a groan. Of all the people to come after me, she's at the bottom of my list. "You and I need to talk."

"I'm not sure I'm up to it," I say, pulling the covers back away from my face, glancing at Andrea who is resting against the doorframe. "Maybe another time."

"No. Get up to it, because this conversation needs to happen right here, and right now," Andrea says, her voice dropping to an authoritative tone.

I sit up, not sure I am prepared to talk to Andrea about anything.

"You care about him," Andrea says simply. "In what way, I don't know fully. And you may not have decided for yourself. But you care about Kane. That much is evident. And he cares about you."

"I know what you're implying--"

"No, I'm not implying. He loves you. You love him. Like I said, in what way, that may still need to be decided. But you guys care about each other, and I care about Kane. Don't hurt him, and please don't get hurt," Andrea says, sounding completely genuine.

"That may be the nicest thing you've ever said to me," I say quietly, meaning it as a joke. "I appreciate the concern."

Andrea smirks, pushing away from the door frame. "Yeah, well, don't get used to it."

I wake up, not having even realized I had fallen asleep, and take a look at the glowing orb near the wall which informs me that it's three in the morning. I start when I hear Kane clear his throat, and for the first time notice him next to me.

"Did I wake you?" I ask, turning to face him.

"No," He says chuckling softly, "not at all. I've been awake for hours."

I turn over onto my back again, and breathe in the smell of cologne surrounding me.

"What's kept you up?" I ask tentatively.

"You," He says, and I feel my heart stop, but then he continues, "Andrea, my mom, Anya, Charlie. You name it. Everything is changing. We're nearing something big, Fel, I can feel it. Pretty soon the Year Movement is going to have to make their move. It has me worried."

"Why?" I ask. "There's no one out there who could execute this better than you. You've been planning this for the better half of your life."

"Exactly," Kane says, sighing, "that's why I'm so worried. What if all my plans crumble and nothing comes from the Year Movement's efforts?"

I let this sink in. Of course he's worried. If I was in his situation, I would be having the same doubts and worries he is experiencing. He has a lot going on, and knowing that it's time for the Year Movement to make a move has to be thrilling mixed with an equal amount of terrifying.