-Chapter 15-

One day. That’s all that’s left.

  Paul stayed up all night and finished the UCPs for the six that still needed them. He asked us to all meet in his workshop after breakfast. I haul Amelia into the main room so that I can eat my breakfast, but I barely eat anything. I am too excited. Will they all work? Will my plan go through without a hitch? In two days’ time, is it possible that I could be sitting around a table, eating breakfast with my family? It is too soon to know.

  Charlie joins me, asking me if I have seen what he will look like while wearing a UCP yet. I just shake my head. I only know what I will look like. Lady Paula. She’s beautiful and sophisticated. She’s someone I could never even hope to be. How will I even be able to pretend to be her?

  “With a name like Sir Whigham, who could blame me for worrying?” Charlie asks, shrugging. “You looked amazing. I just don’t want to be let down.”

  “Do you think Paul would mind if I showed up a little early?” I ask, wanting nothing more than to see the UCPs Paul worked all night on.

  “If I know Paul, which I do, then I guarantee he’s in there now, hoping we all show up early,” Charlie admits. I couldn’t agree more. I feel the need to go see the UCPs before anyone else gets to, but I stay put, letting Charlie finish his breakfast. Once he finishes though, I haul him and Amelia down to the workshop. The walk is brisk and determined. I want to get there before the others. I am disappointed to see I wasn’t the only one with the idea though. As soon as I walk in the room I see 2 unfamiliar faces. They must be some of the men, their UCPs already tucked behind their ear.

  “There she is,” Paul says, coming to me. I see that he is carrying Lady Paula’s ID and my UCP. My fingers itch, wanting nothing more than to put the UCP on.

  “She could barely wait to come down,” Charlie says, accepting his own ID and UCP.

  Soon the last two men trickle in, and Paul hands them their equipment.

  “Everyone,” Paul says. “Once we are all in our UCP form, we will need to make sure we know who everyone is.”

  I agree. How will I know what men are with me and what men are just random partygoers. Paul has thought this through.

  Paul pushes his UCP behind his ear, and instructs us to do the same. For the few who are new to the whole transformation, it seems to startle them. Someone staggers back, nearly falling down, startled by his own flickering body. I just smile, and soon my figure solidifies. I hear gasps coming from all around, everyone taking in their new bodies. Some pinch their partners while others are too scared to move.

  “When I call your real name, and your ID name, please raise your hand,” A man who I already know is Paul says. He has long blonde hair that is pulled back into a neat ponytail. His eyes are a startling blue, and his cheekbones are high. He has a handsome face, and a tailored suit to match.

  “Kane Porter, Mr. Laneer,” A man just to my right raises his hand. I’m startled by what I see. The face I see is handsome yes, but Kane’s normally soft features have been replaced by the UCP, making them appear hard and focused. His hair is short, although part of it sticks up in the front, almost as if it was gelled. His eyes are a green color, and his tailored suit is covering a pale green button up shirt which no doubt was intended to match.