-Chapter 16-

I wake to the sound of a knock on my door, and I gasp, not having realized I fell asleep. It must be time for dinner. The door opens and there is Charlie, his nose slightly swollen. He sends me an apologetic look, and steps through the door.

  "I would have let you sleep through breakfast," He says, and I feel a sense of disbelief that I was able to sleep that long. "But Kane wants us seven to have a meeting at breakfast to discuss tonight."

  Tonight. It really doesn't seem possible. All that planning leading up to today, and now here we are. The party will begin at six. I'm beginning to think that the Government is partial to that number, but that must just be a coincidence.

  "I'll be out in a few minutes," I say, stretching. "I just want to take a quick shower."

  "Make it quick," Charlie warns.

  There isn't an adjoined bathroom in this room, so I am forced to walk down the hall to the place I was told was the best place for a shower. Three showers line a grimy cement wall, a ragged towel hanging next to each. I climb in, peeling off my clothes. I find a small bottle of shampoo and a mangled bar of soap. I am thankful though when the warm water splashes across my skin, removing my fears of tonight. I hear a door clicking shut, and reach for the towel outside of the shower unit. I wrap it around myself and gasp when the door flies open. I back up against the wall, ignoring the cold stone.

  "You don't just walk in on someone taking a shower!" I hear Charlie yell, and he walks in the door, shielding his eyes with his hands.

  "Well you should have explained to her that we are in a time crunch," Kane says. Unlike his tone he used with Charlie yesterday, this one is calm and more appropriate.

  I pull my towel tighter around me. Kane is standing there, perfectly dry, and here I am, dripping wet.

  "She's decent, Charlie," Kane says, patting Charlie on the shoulder. He slowly removes his hands from his eyes as if he isn't quite sure of his friend's statement. I shrug, pulling the towel as tight around me as it will go. I don't want to risk a clothing malfunction—or lack thereof.

  "We have to have a meeting," Kane says stepping forward. I nod, reaching behind me to turn off the water. I stop though, worried about my towel falling. "I've got it," Kane says stepping around me. I lose my footing while stepping out of his way, the water still causing the linoleum shower to be slippery. He grabs my waist, checking to make sure I am steady. I nod, and a whimper escapes me, my fear showing through. I thought I was going to fall. I was sure of it.

  "You okay?" Kane asks, his hand on my cheek, making me face him. Whatever look is in my eyes, I can only imagine that it is worrisome because of Kane's expression. He looks concerned. I try to plaster on some confidence, but it feels fake.

  I step out of the shower, and grab a robe that is hanging on a hook nearby. I don't care where it has been, or how long it has been since it was cleaned. I slip it around me, over the towel, tie it around my waist, then let the towel fall to the ground. I feel much better in an actual garment of clothing. Charlie sends me a look of concern, but I just wave him off. I hear the water stop, and look up. Apparently Kane had issues with the water, because now he is drenched from head to toe. I giggle, and he sends me a glare. This glare isn't like the one he used the other day, though. This one is playful and lighthearted.