CHAPTER 4- Illfang the Kobold Lord

U/N
____

December 3, 2022

We wandered through the forest field on floor 1, Kirito, Asuna and I straggled behind the main group.

"Let's go over it again, we're the back up so our target will be the bosses minions, the Ruin Kobold Sentiels. I'll use a sword skill to knock their weapons up and out of the way when I do (U/N) will switch with me, allowing you to jump in." I rolled my eyes, this must've been the 6th time he's explained it to us.

"What's a switch?" my head whipped in Asunas direction. How in the world does she not know what a switch is? Furthermore why has she only just asked?

Kirito glanced over at me, confusion marring his face. "Ok level with me, is this the first time you've been in a party?" She nodded. I blew out a harsh breath, this was going to be a long and difficult fight for sure.

____

My heart began to race as we lingered by the dungeon doors. Nerves coursed through my body as we waited patiently by the boss room. Id be lying if I didn't say that I wasn't the slightness bit terrified, even though this wasn't the first boss I've fought since I got a good deal of practice from the beta game, there was something about the fact I could actually die this time that had me just a tad on edge! Who would've thought!

"U/N." A quiet voice called, I turned to face Kirito giving me a soft smile. "You're not scared are you?" He teased, a smirk pulling at the corners of his mouth.

I rolled my eyes. "Psh, in your dreams Kirito."

"Mhm," he hummed, "My favourite place to see you." He mused quietly leaning closer to my ear. I shoved his arm trying to hide the burning sensation that engulfed my cheeks and the electrifying feeling that took over my body.

Before I could rebuttal with a witty comment Diabel spoke up with a some what inspiring speech.

The dungeon doors creaked open revealing the boss inside. Well I'm not sure what I was expecting but I almost froze in fear when its red beady eyes and mighty roar rang through the dungeon. Illfang (the boss) jumped out of his throne shaking the whole room.

In a flash, we were encased by blue lights, as the boss summoned small creatures, making my skin crawl as they began charging towards us.

"Commence attack!" Diabel yelled as every player took their positions and charged towards them.

"Squads A and C! Switch in!... Here it comes! Squad B block!" My senses blurred as shouting, screaming and the clash of weapons rang through my head.

Diabels voice rose above commanding the fleet. "Squad C, keep guarding and prepare to switch, everyone else when you fall back re-group and flank them, Squads D,E and F keep those sentinels off us!"

"You got it!" Kirito went in for the attack, "switch!" In a swift motion I jump over allowing cover for him, as Asuna went in for the attack. I have to give her credit, she's a beginner but she's skilful, fast and has a lot of potential.

I sent her a nod as we panted heavily, trying to catch our escaping breaths from our tightening chests.

As soon as the boss had 1/2 a health bar left, it threw its battle axe and shield up in the air and they smashed into the ground with a harsh clang that reverberated across the dungeon.

Out of no where Diabel charged towards the boss, my head raced with questions, what on earth is he doing?! This isn't part of the plan.

As I watched Diabel charge towards the boss, Illfang pulled out a new weapon. my heart dropped into my stomach as I focused on the saber ill fangs calloused hand, that's not a Talwar! It's a No-Dachi! This is different from the beta what's going on?!