CHAPTER 32| Let Me Go

U/N
____

The hall broke out in a series of murmurs, I could feel their eyes burning into my skin. With a deep breath I stood up next to Kirito.

"Just for my curiosity's sake, would you mind telling me how you figured it out?" Akihiko Kayaba finally spoke.

"First time I knew something was up was during our dual." Kirito began, "I remember when you turned the tables on me, that move was way too fast-" he scowled.

"Yes I thought so, it was a mistake to think that would go unnoticed by you," his head dropped subtly with a crooked smile. His silver hair draped over his left eye as he looked up at us. "But you were so strong and so fast, the only choice I had was to engage the systems assist mode."

Nobody knew what to say. The rest of the soldiers stood bewildered sharing the same marks of confusion etched into their faces.

"Yes, we are Akihiko Kayaba and F/N L/N, and now that our identities have been revealed it should be no surprise that we are the final boss on the top level." The army shattered at the words of my father, their faces torn to dread as lifeless gasps left their mouths.

I couldn't tell if it was the adrenaline or the sheer betrayal and resentment I had coursing through my veins but I had no words, no feelings, nothing. Not even a tear. Just numbness fell over me. I couldn't believe that the man I once respected and cared for the most could turn and stab me in the back the way my father had just done.

Asuna grasped onto my arm, out of fear or comfort I couldn't tell. But I think we both needed it.

"So the strongest players in the whole game ends up being the final boss," I laughed trying to hide how broken I felt inside.

"Kinda cliche isn't it?" Kirito chimed.

"Actually I kinda like that angle. One things for sure I always thought you'd be the one standing before me at the end." Kayaba grinned at Kirito. "You know dual welding is a rare skill only given to the player with the fastest reaction time, and they're the hero of this story. The one that rises up to challenge the demon king. But you..." Kayaba turned to me.

"You posses a skill that does not belong to this game. I knew once your father found out you found yourself in here that he would do whatever he could in his power to protect you." He laughed, my eyes flickered to the man standing tall next to Kayaba. "Of course I couldn't allow that, allowing him to cheat you to safety. But once I saw the power you displayed, it exceeded my expectations, I guess these unexpected twists and turns are what make mmorpg so thrilling to play." Kayaba bared his teeth in a wicked smirk. Kirito scowled as he twitched in anger. I took a hold of his hand, he gave me a reassuring squeeze.

"Our loyalty, our hope..." a player called. "How dare you, how dare you?! HOW DARE YOU!" in a manic rage the knights of the blood oath general charged towards them. In a instance my father pulled open his menu selecting the name of the general and before we knew it the general collapsed against the cold ground.

"Paralysis," Kirito muttered.

"Kirito..." I had lost mobility and before I knew it I dropped to the floor, followed by the rest of the soldiers. Kirito rushed to my side, scooping me up in his arms.

"What's the plan now?" Kirito seethed. "You going to kill everyone here and cover it up?!"

"God no, that wouldn't be fair at all." Kayaba began.

"We have a better idea." My father laughed. "We're going to head to the top floor and wait for you there. We'll be inside the ruby palace." Kayaba continued.

"It's a shame we have to leave you all so soon. We've spent so much time developing the knights of the blood oath and other elite players... oh well, you're all strong so I'm sure you'll reach us, eventually." My fathers words cut deep, his expression dripping nothing but pride as a smirk twitched at his lips.

"But before we go, kirito, I feel as though you deserve some kind of reward for discovering our identity. I'll give you a chance." Kayaba grinned, stabbing his sword into the ground.

"Chance for what?"

"Fight us, right here, right now and our immortality will be deactivated. Defeat us and you clear the game. All of the players will be able to log out from this world no strings attached. What do you say."

"No."

Everyone turned to look at me.

"It's 2 vs 1 how is that fair. It doesn't make you formidable it makes you cowards." I spat. Slowly, I focused my energy on my body, slowly moving my fingers, followed by my arms. With a deep breath I pulled myself up, fighting the systems paralysis. I don't know how I did it. But by the look of my father and Kayaba's faced showed me it shouldn't have been possible.

Slowly I stood up, my body heavy and achey. My chest heaved up and down.

"What?" I laughed. "Afraid of a fair fight?" I sneered.

"No, dont do it Kirito, U/N," Asuna called out. "I don't like it, we should fall back."

"We have to," Kirito breathed. "Ok, let's finish this."

He planted himself next to me, unsheathing his swords. Sending a nod of determination my way. He snaked his fingers through mine, grasping my hand tightly as we ignored the shouts of the paralysed players telling us to turn away and retreat.

"Agil," Kirito began. "Thanks for supporting players in the game since day one. Yh I knew." He turned to look at him. " I know you say it's all about the money but you've spent every penny on helping the intermediate players level up."

"Klein, I'm sorry I bailed on you that day, I think about it all the time-"

"Dammit Kirito," Crystal tears began to fall from Kleins eyes. "Don't you apologise- Don't you dare apologise now! I won't accept it, I'll never accept it until we're on the other side and you're buying me dinner, goddammit!" He yelled through the pain.

"Go it, see you on the other side." Kirito smiled.

"U/N..." he turned to look at me. "Im sorry," tears welled in his eyes and a cloud of confusion fogged my mind.

Then, in an instance he knocked me down and I crashed to the floor next to Agil. "Make sure she doesn't get up." He smiled. Before I could do anything I felt agils arms wrap around me.

Panick began to rise through me.

"Im sorry U/N, but this is something I have to do alone, I couldn't forgive myself if something happened to you."

"No Kirito!" I clawed at Agils arms. "Let go of me." No matter how much I writhed and scratched and tore at his arms. Agil wasn't letting go. Tears trickled down my face. What was happening to me? I was losing control. I couldn't help. How was I supposed to just sit and watch as he went on a suicide mission.

My body felt like it was falling apart.

I watched helplessly as Kayaba turned them into mortal objects. My father unsheathed his sword, but his face radiated sympathy as he looked my way.

"LET ME GO," I cried, my vision blurring from the tears. "Kirito," I whimpered, my voice shaking with every word. "Kirito, come back."

Agils arms wrapped tighter around me.

I felt my stomach wrench, twisting into millions of knots, I pulled at agils arms but they wouldn't budge. "Agil, let me go... please," I whispered, pure desperation seeping from my voice.

"It's ok U/N," Kirito smiled, trying to hide his tears. The sound of his broken voice only brought me more pain.

"Kirito no,"