CHAPTER 21- Who Are You?

October 31, 2024
Floor 1: Town Of Beginnings

The glowing blue bubble broke around us revealing us in the familiar Town Of Beginnings. Yui clung to kirito as he gave her a piggyback ride. We dressed Yui in a large pink sweater and a black skirt. She looked adorable.

"It's been forever since I've been back here"
Kirito whispered as we walked.
"Me too"
Memories from the last time we found ourselves here flowed into our minds. The red warning signs, the game master... I shook my head free of all my thoughts.

"What do you think? do any of these buildings look familiar?"
I asked, Yui looked around.
"I don't know"
She clung onto Kirito searching for comfort.
"Don't get down about it, the Town of Beginnings is a really big place, so how about it! Should we start at the central market?"
Kirito said.

...............................................................................................

We walked around the market. The usual streets that are normally busy with shoppers were empty... how strange...

"Hey... Kirito?"
I asked, the strange vacancy was making me feel uneasy.
"Yeah?"
"Do you know how many players are here, right now in the town"
He let out a soft hum.
"Good question, last I checked there were 6,000 players still alive in SAO, and about 30% of those people, including the army live in the town of Beginnings, so maybe a little less than 2000?"
I furrowed my eyebrows, this really was strange.
"Then doesn't it seem a little 'dead' around here?"
I said staring around at the empty stalls.
"You're right..."

We stopped at the end of the market keeping quiet to take in the strange silence of the place.

"LEAVE THOSE CHILDREN ALONE!"
A yell tore through the quite market place. I spun on my heels in the direction of the yell.
"Look! It's the daycare bitch-"
"We've been waiting for you!"
Two new voices ripped through the quiet.

I turned to kirito and we exchanged nods. We set off down the alleyway.

...............................................................................................

"Leave them alone and let them go!"
A woman cried out.
"You make it sound like we're doing something illegal baby-cakes, we're just teaching 'em how things work around here, making sure they pay their way, it's all part of the army's job ma'am"
One of the soldiers spoke up.
"That's right, everyone's gotta pay taxes around here!"
Another said causing the rest of these brutes to splutter with laughter.

"Gin! Kain! Mina! Are you ok?"
The woman yelled out towards the quivering children.
"Help me Sasha! Please! Save us!"
One of the children cried out.
"They just want your money so give it to them and it'll be ok!"
She yelled back.
"We tried teach but they said it's not good enough!"
Another one of the kids called back.Sasha let out a quiet gasp.

"You know you dead beats owe us a hell of a lot of back taxes"
One of the soldiers snarled.
"You need to drop all the equipment you got right there... including your armour, c'mon honey... don't be shy"
Another taunted.

Sasha placed a hand around the handle of her sword.
"No way, let me through or else, Stand aside!"
She yelled. In an instance kirito and I leapt over the soldiers and the woman to the terrified children.

"You guys are gonna be okay now, pick up your stuff"
I whispered to the kids. They stared at me blankly, causing me to flash a sympathetic smile.
"O-okay"
One of the kids said.

I turned back to face the small gathering of soldiers.
"What the-"
"Whoa, whoa whoa whoa, hey who the hell are you!?"
One of the soldiers asked, their voice laced with rage as if we just interrupted something...
"This is army business so get the hell out of our way!"
Another grunted.

"Hold on... I've got this,"
One of the soldiers , I presumed to be the 'leader' walked towards us.
"I guess you're all new around here, because we're with the liberation army and you do not mess with us!"
He spat as he unsheathed his sword. I furrowed my eyebrows, people like him disgusted me, threatening innocent people, abusing their power.

I took a deep breath and walked towards them.
"Kirito, take care of Yui"
I said, he nodded and stood back a bit.

My fingers wrapped around the handle of my Sabar as I unsheathed it from its case. The soldier laughed as I approached him. However his laugh soon turned into a squeal as I landed a hit on his chest sending him tumbling backwards. I stalked forward landing another hit sending him rolling like a ball to the feet of the prying crowd of soldiers. The soldiers let out a couple gasps as I loomed over the guard, my face stone cold.
"Oh don't worry, it's a safe zone, your hp won't decrease no matter what I do, there's just the feeling of getting knocked off your feet. Even so a fight with me is still gonna scare the hell out of you"
I snapped my wrist up, causing my sword to flinch upwards. The soldier scrambled away.

"No! no dont!"
As he stumbled to his feet I hit him in the back causing him to fall onto his face with a loud grunt.
"Don't just stand there you assholes! Do something!"
He yelled. The others took one look, twisted on their heels and scampered off in the other direction.

I let out a content sigh and turned back to Kirito and the kids. They let out gasps.
"Awesome!"
"That was amazing!"
They cheered.
"Woah ive never seen anything like that before!"
"Yh you were so cool!"
They skipped up to me bouncing with excitement. I felt a warm hand rest on my shoulder. I turned my head to face Sasha.
"Thank you for helping us out,"
She said, I rubbed the back of my neck. I didn't really know how to respond so I let out an awkward laugh.

"You see that, your mums crazy strong isn't she"
Kirito said in admiration to Yui. She smiled before turning her face towards the sky.

"Their hearts..."
She mumbled, reaching a hand up towards the sky.
"Everyone's hearts are..."
"Yui?"
Kirito said.
"What's wrong?"
I asked. She began mumbling inaudible words her face torn into worry and anguish.
"Yui? What's the matter?!"
Kirito tried to calm her but it was no use. Something must've really scared her.

"Yui!"
I rushed over to them.
"Yui, did you remember something?"
She faced me with a worried face.
"I-I... I was never here... in this place, I was always alone, in the dark-"
She jolted backwards, falling as Kirito fought to keep her up. I covered my ears as the deafening sound of static radiated through the air. I watched her get closer to the ground and I jumped to grabbed her limp body.
"Yui!"
"I-I'm scared"
She whimpered. I pulled her closer to me. She burrowed her head into the nook of my neck. I turned to Kirito.

"What was that?"

Word Count: 1194

A/N
Sorry for not uploading in a while, I'll try to get more out sooner!