CHAPTER 29| Confessions

U/N
____

"3 more hours of waiting," I mused as I sat up on the large mahogany table. The board of leaders had left shortly after the meeting leaving Kirito and i to run everything over in our minds.

"What should we do?" I quizzed turning towards him. Kirito was leaning against the windows his hands in the pockets of his black cloak, he held no expression on his face other than a slight tinge of sadness which took me by surprise.

"What's wrong with you?" I smiled.

"There's something I have to ask you," he began, averting his gaze to the floor. "But I don't want you getting mad at me."

I shot him a puzzled look as I turned in my space to face him.

"Instead of going to the boss fight could you please stay here,"...

I burst out laughing.

"Oh please tell me your joking." I wheezed, clutching my stomach as I struggled to balance myself from falling off the table. He stood up straight.

"I'm serious U/N." Silence fell over us.

"We won't be able to use teleport crystals, so there's no telling what will happen... I'm scared," he confessed. I looked down to the checkered floor and let out a gentle scoff.

"If anything happened to you i-"

"-so you want to go to some place dangerous, alone, and you expect me to stay here where it's safe?" I slid off the table and walked slowly towards him. His grip tightened around the window frame.

"You know what would happen if you didn't come back?" He couldn't look me in the eyes. "I'd never forgive myself, so what would be the point in living." His eyes widened with the truth.

"I'm sorry, I'm just losing my nerve." He ran a frustrated hand through his black hair. "All I want to do is run away with you."

His head shot up to face me and he grabbed a hold of my arm. "I don't care if we never make it back to the real world," His hand moved down my arms till he took my hands in his. "I just want to be with you, in our little house in the woods, where nothing matters other than us."

I closed my eyes, letting out a painful sigh, "it would be nice if we could do that together," I squeezed his hands. "Be together, everyday, forever." I took a deep breath.

"Do you ever think about what's happening in the real world? About what's happening to our bodies while we're in here?" A wave of realisation crashed over him.

"A few weeks after the game was launched, do you remember what happened?" I began softly. "Most of the players went offline and stayed that way for a few hours. My guess is; that's when all the players bodies were being moved to hospitals in the real world... if that's where we are, barley being kept alive by machines, it's hard to believe we're going to survive like that for much longer."

"So that means, it doesn't matter if we clear the game or not anymore, everyone here is on a time limit and once's that's up-" before he finished he pulled me in closer, hugging me tight. I wasn't one to cry at these type of things but I'd be lying if I didn't say I lost a tear or two.

"I want to stay with you Kirito," he placed a gentle hand on top of my head, stroking my hair in attempt to comfort me. "I want to go on real dates, and grow old with you, that's why," i couldn't force the words out, I choked.

"We don't have a choice, we have to keep fighting."