CHAPTER 12-The Duel

October 19, 2024
Floor 50: Algade

I was at Agils shop early that morning, mostly to get away from the info brokers that showed up the place I was staying in the early morning and battered me with questions, luckily I wasn't at my actual home otherwise I would've had to move, and I really don't want to do that. I was helping Liz do some errands, Asuna introduced me to her and we became great friends, kirito showed up a little later with the paper.

"A blue demon that annihilated a big squad squad of army players, and a 50- hit combo from a dual-weirder and female player with special magic skill that took out the boss on their own!"
Agil read the paper out loud as Kirito slumped in chair, i lent against the wall with my arms crossed against my chest.
"I can't believe what a big deal, they're making out of this,"
Agil continued as he laughed at us.

"Yeah it's blowing up right in my face, a load of swordsmen and info brokers showed up at my place this morning now I need a new pad because they know where I live,"
Kirito grumbled.
"Same here, luckily I hacked the system and put a barrier around my house this morning after they all turned up at the inn I was staying at last night, it was a nightmare,"
I said taking a seat next to kirito,

"Yeah well that's sort of kinda you're own fault, you said it was going to be our little secret but you went and blabbed it to everyone,"
Liz said as she walked in with a box of tools. Kirito huffed knowing she was right. All of a sudden we heard footsteps coming up behind us, Asuna stood by the door way, holding onto the wall as she caught her breath,

"What are we going to do kirito, we've got ourselves a huge problem!"
She exclaimed,

Floor 55: Grandzam

"Out side of boss fights I don't believe we've actually met, kirito, (U/N),"
A man in red cloak spoke.

"Well, there was that conference on floor 67, we talked a little bit there, Commander Heathcliff,"
Kirito responded.
"Yes that was a difficult battle, we almost lost a few players that day too, we may be the top guild but we barley get by with the amount of troops we have, and now here you are, trying to poach one of our best players, I don't know what to say,"
I shift slightly from toe to toe trying to calm my nerves, I may be a top player but that doesn't mean that commander heathcliff doesn't scare the crap out of me, something about him seems so familiar, it creeped me out.

"If she's that important then maybe you should do a better job at picking her body guard,"
Kirito retorted.
"You have my sincerest apologies for any trouble you may have had with Kuradeel, but you must understand we simply cannot allow our second in command to leave the guild just like that, if you want her you'll have to use your dual blades to take her from us if you can defeat me in combat, you'll be free to take Asuna with you. On the other hand if you lose you will join the knights of the blood oath."
Am-am i invisible?! He only wants to duel Kirito, what am I good enough for him, does he think I'm weak or something, my blood boiled at him practically ignoring my existence.

"Yeah ok then,"
I twist my head and shoot a shocked look at Kirito.
"If you want to settle this with swords that's fine by me, we'll have ourselves a duel then."

We left the compound shortly after.
"-he practically ignored my existence! What am I not good enough! If he couldn't tell I'm a part of this party too!"
I huffed as we walked through the chartered street gaining me a laugh from Asuna.

"I don't see why you're so mad at it, you should be happy you don't have to fight him,"
Asuna said in between giggles. I rolled my eyes,
"Yeah I know but it's something about the fact he didn't even acknowledge me, and the fact that he didn't even ask, urgh I'm so tired of people thinking I'm not capable, for gods sake my dad-"
I froze.
Kirito and Asuna exchange looks, this happened to be the first time I brought him up.

"What about your dad?"
Kirito asked cautiously. I let out a sigh annoyed with my slip up.

"Nothing don't worry about it,"
I mumble.

October 20
Floor 75: Collinia

We gathered by the stadium, I went off to buy some snacks to avoid the awkward argument Asuna and Kirito were about to have about how his stupidly agreed to a dual. I hugged Kirito tightly and wished him luck before he left towards the arena

The crowd cheered as we stood tentatively watching the battle field. Asuna shifts slightly in her place. I place a hand on her shoulder.

"He'll be fine, he's too stubborn to lose,"
I said with a smile.

We watched as Heathcliff and Kirito both unsheathed their swords. The stadium fell quiet so you could here the timer counting down. The tension was so high you could probably cut through it with a knife.

Kirito bolted towards Heathcliff. Sending a barrage of swings his way. Heathcliff blocked with ease using his shield before parrying Kiritos attack. Heathcliff charged towards Kirito and rammed his shield into Kirito.
I wince putting a balled fist to my mouth and let out an 'Oof ' sound.

The impact sent him across the arena but Kirito landing with grace. Of course he did, drama queen. It was like watching pin ball both attacking with equal strength neither retreating. Kiritos sword glowed a bright yellow as he assaulted Heathcliff with swings of his swords. The crowd roared in amusement but the rapid clanging of metal rose above.

I felt Asuna stiffen besides me as we watched from the stocks.

Kirito managed to get a hit on Heathcliff and I feel my face brighten, omg he might actually win! We watched as Kirito sent attack after attack on Heathcliff causing Heathcliff to break his defence

Kirito managed to get a hit on Heathcliff and I feel my face brighten, omg he might actually win! We watched as Kirito sent attack after attack on Heathcliff causing Heathcliff to break his defence. An opening. Kirito swung his sword down. It should've hit, what happened? Somethings not right.Everything happened so fast you could barley tell. Heathcliff managed to snake out of the attack and stabbed Kirito sending him down to the floor.

A jingle filled the air as the winner banner appeared over Heathcliff. The crowd cheered at Kiritos demise.

Word Count:1113