Balance: White, Part 1

Dawn's POV

Suddenly, a shimmering part of world in front of us started to widen. Izira and Jodan turned towards it. 

The Black Knight turned, and growled at the shimmering portal, then vanished. I looked, confused at everyone, then we all rushed through the portal, leaving Izira and Jodan behind. They stood still, their voices broken and fractured. 

I hopped through the rainbow-colored portal, ending up in the colorful land of Ephedia. 

"What?" Iris finally spoke. It was just as magical as it had been when we were first born. 

The King came up behind us, spreading his arms wide, as if nothing was wrong. 

"Dad?" Iris asked, shielding her eyes from the bright sunlight. He grinned. 

"Yes! My darling daughter!" 

"You left Izira and Jodan in there!" Carissa protested. 

"No, that's not really Izira and Jodan," he reassured us, "the ones you met on Earth were real. When you got there, I used a crystal spell to make clones of them. They went last, right? They took another portal behind your back." 

Talia crossed her arms.

"My King, I don't think that was the wisest decision." 

He waved his hands in dismissal. 

"Princess of Xeris, you have nothing to worry about!" 

Iris shared a worried look with me. Anyone who wasn't a close member of the King's family  wouldn't see the waver of doubt in his eyes. But me, I could easily see the tension in his eyes. 

Suddenly, Nathaniel's brows furrowed. 

"My King, what was the thing that we encountered? The extra dimension?" Nathaniel stammered, trying to voice his words. 

"An illusion." the King replied, sliding into a carriage, patting the seats for us. Talia and Auriana slid in easily, with more hesitance from me, Chandler, Lev, and Nathaniel. Iris followed after, a huge sigh coming out as soon as she entered. 

There were bags under Talia's eyes. SHe yawned, and blinked a few times. Iris was already asleep to the rocking of the carriage, resting her head on Nathaniel's shoulder. The King's eyes flared up, but relaxed once he saw that Nathaniel was falling asleep too. 

Suddenly, I found my eyes closing, and I laid my head on Lev's shoulder. 

...

I blinked, awake now that the carriage had stopped. None of my other members of the team were awake, so I shut my eyes as not to disturb anyone. Unable to fall asleep, I opened my eyes again. 

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw the King talking in hushed tones to a guard. He looked guarded and unfriendly, but at the same time, willing to do his job. 

He nodded several times at the King, who kept on giving him orders. I heard tiny pieces of words, floating into my ears. 

"Graymorr.... wife.... secret.... attack...." he whispered fiercely into his ear. The guard's eyes grew wide, but he quickly wiped the expression off of his face. He nodded solemnly, and led the carriage into the castle, the dangerous secret still hanging in the air. 

I shut my eyes as the King turned his head towards me, and he let out a huff, then shook Lev and Nathaniel's shoulders, asking them to wake up, stirring Iris and I in the process. 

He, then, glared at me, proceeding to hit my with his cape as he walked by. I stuttered in protest, but he had already gone past the castle limits. Iris, Talia, and Auriana followed behind him, with the rest of us following suit.