Balance: Purple

Carissa POV 

I walked the hallway as the King, who was lost in his thoughts, lead us to the library once again. Iris was surprisingly silent, as she trailed behind Talia and Dawn, who constantly looked back with worrisome expression on their faces. Lev was a little worried, and his blue eyes turned a dark shade of green. 

"Illene." the King murmured. 

"What?" I asked, a little snappy. 

"Nothing," the KIng brushed it off. 

I shrugged, but something told me that there was something else to that name. 

I fell back, walking backwards to Iris, who was lost in her thoughts. 

"Iris, does the name Illene mean anything to you?" 

In front of us, Dawn and Chandler stiffened. 

"No, I can't say that it does." Iris replied, not fully into the question. I suspiciously walked over to Dawn and Chandler, who's shoulders were as stiff as a board. 

"What about the name Illene do you know about?" I interrogated. 

"N-Nothing." Dawn stammered, flashing a glance at the King. Chandler nudged her with his shoulder, still looking at me. 

"Tell me!" I demanded. Dawn glared at me while Chandler sighed and gave in. 

"Illene is the name of Graymorr's wife." he whispered in hushed tones. The King glanced back, but said nothing. 

"Graymorr had a wife?!" I exclaimed, my voice bouncing off the walls. The King's neck snapped up, and he hurriedly pulled Iris', Dawn's, and Chandler's arms to the library. 

"Ow!" Iris protested, glaring at her Father. 

"A wife?" Lev murmured. Lyna, Auriana, and Talia all came over, while Nathaniel stayed frozen in his spot. 

"Yes. Illene was the name that the King murmured while I was walking behind him. It was the name of Graymorr's wife." 

"Graymorr had a wife?" Lyna asked, confused. 

"That would explain the photos of the brunette on his wall. He never really explained it when I was working for him." Lev remembered. 

"Oh, yeah. You were working for the villain." Talia muttered. Lev shot her a glare, but she turned away. 

"There must be some evidence. Maybe the King is keeping something." Auriana suggested. Nathaniel froze again. 

"No," he protested, "there most be some other explanation." 

"There doesn't look like there is one." Lyna said. Nathaniel sighed. 

"Okay, fine. Where should we look?" 

"The King's study!" Auriana exclaimed. 

"Are you sure? That breaks a lot of Ephedian laws.." Talia trailed off when we gave her a cold stare. 

Auriana led the way to the King's study. 

"It's a little weird how you know this." Lev murmured. Lyna nodded beside him. 

"I like to see the interior designing of every castle." Auriana replied. 

The King's study was a busy place. Butlers and maids drifted inside and out. There were cream walls that were filled with pictures of his family, and mostly his wife. His desk was neat and clean, but a dirty plate messed up the entire ambiance of it all. A butler quickly swiped it away, and closed the doors to give us some privacy. 

Lev let out an appreciative whistle. 

"He's got some nice digs." 

Lyna rolled her eyes and started pulling the books, looking for any signs of a secret passage. 

I glanced under the desk, seeing if there was any trapdoors or whatnot. 

"I found something!" I called, once I had pushed the desk to the side a little bit. The color of the wood was slightly darker than the rest, more of a mahogany than a light brown. 

Lev pushed me to the side and excitedly opened the door, only to reveal lots of pictures, and a colorful blanket, one you would usually use to swaddle a baby. There was a leather-back journal, covered in dark crystals. It looked like one from hundreds of millenia ago.

Talia flipped through the photo stack. 

"There's a letter here!" she whispered excitedly. 

Lyna grabbed the letter and started to examine it carefully. 

Dear Illene, 

Date of Three-Fourteen-Eleven

The days go by without your love. I long for the day when our son can take over the kingdom. There's only a few more years until he hits the age of 16. I know you want to raise him in secret, so that you may avoid the mobs of angry people that constantly bang on my front gates. I know you want me to stop this foolish lifestyle, to release the imprisoned. But I'm so close to my goal. And we can rule together. 

There are only so many days in a year. My plan is almost complete. Princess Iris and her... friends, they are getting closer to freeing the crown. 

Tell Gedeon to keep dreaming. He's almost ready to assume the throne. I just hope you're ready for it. 

Love, 
Your Dearest,
Grayson

....

Dear Illene, 

Date of Five-Ten-Twelve 

I wish our son a happy birthday. I know I haven't been exactly the husband you would have liked. I would want to make it up to you in anyway possible. Please, no wishes of power. I think I have enough. 

There is only light in the darkness. Aeliana is sick. There is no hope for her. I have allowed the rulers to come to her, but only one at a time. 

Aeliana is no longer in my heart. 

This attack on the Palace was the only way that she could feel the pain in my heart when she abandoned me. 

Gedeon should be around 15 years old today. I hope he gets my present. 

I love you, 
Grayson

.....

Dearest Grayson, 

Date of Six-Five-Twelve 

I know that you haven't been the most attentive husband. But at least you care for us. Gedeon longs to meet you. But I am afraid. 

Afraid for the both of us. 

There are mobs outside. Angry mobs. THey attack our homes. We had to replace our windows several times. THey have broken into our house. 

They grabbed Gedeon and managed to put him to the stake. 

Send us some money. We have to move to a safer place. 

I love you too. 

Gedon says the same. 

Love, 
Illene