Balance: The Knight

LEV POV 

We followed the annoyed and restless guards into the Palace. 

Queen Virdi and King Cinis rushed out, walking behind the guards, anxiously waiting for their daughter to wake up. 

Of course, she was already awake. We knew that. This was just a ploy to get into the Palace. 

Iris put on a worried face. 

"Queen Virdi, is she going to be okay? Do you mind if we stay here the night?" Iris turned to Talia and nudged her to enforce her proposal. 

"Yes, we have nowhere to stay." Talia added. 

"Of course,  I just wish you had accepted our proposal last time." 

"And the Highest Tower in the castle is restricted." King Cinis reminded us. 

"Of course." Talia smirked as she looked at all of us. 

"I feel bad for Lyna. I mean, we're plotting against her parents, after all." Auriana whispered to Dawn. 

"Don't worry. This is sort of what she wanted, correct?" Dawn replied. Queen Virdi and King Cinis turned around.

Talia's back straightened. 

"Your rooms are all in this corridor." she pointed to the hallway lit up with lanterns. 

"Thank you, Your Majesties." we all chorused. 

The rulers smiled politely and left the corridor. 

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

We all tiptoed out of our bedrooms at the same time, except for Carissa. Iris had the brilliant idea to use Morse Code. 

"I told you it was the perfect time," Iris grinned proudly, "someone left these papers in my room containing the changing of the guards. Then someone left the key to the tallest tower in the castle." 

"I wonder how Lyna is." Auriana whispered. 

"I'm sure she'll be fine." Dawn reassured her, looking back to a worried Lyna. 

"Her parents didn't seem that worried." Chandler noted. 

"Maybe they've experienced this kind of thing before." 

We all went silent at that thought. We didn't think there was anything wrong with Lyna. She was shy, but almost everyone was like that. 

"Never mind," Nathaniel laughed nervously as he brushed away the thought, "let's just get to the tower." 

We climbed the stairs, and we were nearly out of breath before Iris stopped us abruptly, with us almost falling down the stairs. 

"Whoa!" Talia whispered, "Careful!" 

Iris blushed. 

"Sorry. There's two guards. They almost saw me." 

"Oh. Then you have every right to make me trip." Talia grinned. 

"Princess Iris?" an unusual voice called. Iris' ears perked up curiously. 

"Castor?" Iris called. 

We heard a thump, and then the clanging of a metal helmet.

"Iris?" a boy about our age called down the hallway. He was dressed like Chandler. An honorable soldier from Crystalla. His jewel was a pin, fastened onto his lapel.