Balance: Vega

Iris POV 

"Vega?" Chandler asked, puzzled. 

"As in... Vega, Vega?" Auriana muttered. 

"Yes. Vega. She was destined to become a hero for all of Ephedia." Aquarius replied proudly. 

"But, I thought she was a good guy!" Lyna spluttered. 

"Well, I guess she lied to us."

There was a loud beeping sound that filled the hallways. There was a chorus of shouts as we heard the door bursting open with a crack. Aquarius' eyes grew wide. 

"Go," he commanded, "I'll hold them off." 

"But how will we get out of here? They're blocking the only entrance." I asked. 

"I've been wanting to get out of here, and this was supposed to be the night. But I guess the world has different things in store for me." Aquarius shrugged. 

He pulled out a thread made out of pure light. 

"Oh, my goodness!" Carissa squealed. 

"What?" Nathaniel asked, as he tied the end of the rope to the ledge and started to climb down. I followed him. 

"It's the Thread of Pure Moonlight. Only a being with a pure soul can make it." Carissa explained. 

"Wow." Talia murmured.

"Knight Aquarius!" a gruff voice shouted from the window. 

We heard the door bursting open as we ran for the palace gates. 

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

We were all panting heavily when we burst out of the kingdom's gates. The bridge from the land of Borealis to Ephedia was folding up, as it always did at midnight.

"Grab the princess! She is now a fugitive in her own kingdom!" a guard called. 

The guards who had previously let us out were now chasing us as they angrily shook their spears at our heads. 

We ran through the woods as the men chased us. 

Chandler and Dawn collided with a body as soon as they hit the trees. 

"Ouch!" Vega cried. Lyna kept her hand on her dagger. Vega stepped towards her as Lyna side-stepped her. She grabber her by the collar of her dress, and yanked her towards herself. SHe pulled out her dagger and held it to Vega's throat. 

Vega struggled with Lyna as she pulled the dagger away from her throat. 

"Whoa! What the heck are you guys doing?" Vega asked, chuckling uneasily. 

"We know what happened with your mother, Vega." Dawn said. 

Vega's face hardened as she realized what Dawn was talking about. 

"You don't know anything." she shot back through gritted teeth. Carissa lashed out a rope decorated with amethysts, and it wrapped tightly around Vega's body. 

She struggled to move away, but the amethysts scratched her arms and body. 

"What is the meaning of this? What are you doing?!"

"We know that your mother died in the fight to save Ephedia. So, we think that you are partnering with Gedeon. To destroy Ephedia, the one place that your mother fought so hard to save. To knock off the Balance." 

Vega's head hung low. Suddenly, she raised her head up slowly. 

As she did, we heard a clapping noise from behind us. From her head to her feet, her body disappeared and flakes of yellow were left in the middle of the rope as it dropped to the floor. 

We all whipped our heads around to see a free Vega. 

"Well done, Your Majesties." 

Chandler whipped out his blade, but Vega snapped her fingers as it disappeared. The rest of our weapons disappeared as well. 

"You see, while you were wasting your time gallivanting around Ephedia, solving your own personal problems, I was gathering the Weapons of Ephedia for Gedeon and I. I guess you could say we're comrades-in-arms. That dagger in your hands, Lyna, is a fake." 

Lyna looked down to see it dissipate. 

"In fact, I've known where you were the entire time. Your friend, Princess Iris, FAKE! He arranged a deal. His soul for his brother's well-being. Now he serves the never ending army."

I screamed out in rage as I ran towards her, trying to punch her. She easily dodged my attack and flipped me onto the ground, with no force whatsoever. 

I looked up to see Carissa standing there, almost blankly at Vega. She stared at the pendant in her hand. 

"What are you doing to her?" Nathaniel fumed. 

Vega stared at her pendant, then she laughed. 

"I almost forgot."

We watched helplessly as Carissa crumpled to the floor in pain. She looked up to the sky as she screamed in agony. Lyna ran to her side, but it was too late. Carissa disintegrated into dust. We all stared at Vega, who was smiling like nobody's business. 

Dawn shrieked a call of battle and attacked her, with Chandler by her side. They wrestled her to the ground, and Lev appeared above her. He grabbed her pendant as she thrashed and struggled. 

"No!" she yelled out, as the pendant was crushed underneath Nathaniel's foot. It reformed into the Dagger of Borealis. 

Vega huffed, trying to wiggle out of her restraints. 

"You're not going anywhere." Auriana muttered. 

"We're going to his palace. Now." Talia demanded, as Chandler pushed her onto her feet and forced her to walk forward. 

Suddenly, a blur of aqua green was like a dash across my vision. Lyna tackled Vega as she raised the Dagger in a stabbing motion. 

"Where's Carissa?!" 

Vega started to laugh maniacally. 

"Oh! You are so gullible. You probably don't even know about Carissa." 

"Carissa was barely here. The last you saw her? When you were going through the tunnel, reaching here. Everything from then on? An illusion. When you stormed one of Gedeon's hideouts, you ignored everything else to get to Lyna. Carissa was calling for you. By now? Ha! She's probably already given up hope!" she taunted her, even though she could probably be killed. 

Tears appeared at Lyna's eyes. 

"Lyna," Dawn gently put a hand on her shoulder, "I know you are best friends. But we need her. Don't let rage cloud your senses." 

Lyna turned around, fully crying. She leapt into Chandler and Dawn's arms, bawling her tears out.

Auriana grabbed her by the wrist, and led her onto the path.