Balance: Gedeon

"Mother, I'm so sorry." he cries. 

"Sire, you have a message." 

"Yes, thank you." he thanks him, then dismisses him. 

"My love, I'm being chased!" a girl in a yellow dress cries. 

"Vega, please, calm down, where are you?" he pleads. 

A snap is heard, as the message is cut off. 

"My love!" he screams. He takes off his mask, revealing red hair and sad purple eyes. 

"I. Won't. Lose. You. Too." he grunts under his breath.

"Avenio. Captis. Adducere." he mutters. His eyes glow a shimmer purple as they revert back to their normal state. 

Talia's POV 

My insides felt like they were liquefied. Looking around, I saw the others crumple to the floor as black nets surrounded them. We were all carried as we were dosed with a sleeping potion. 

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

There was a large clanging sound that woke us all up. 

"Where. Is. She?" the Black Knight muttered, as he looked over his shoulder to see me awake. 

"What do you mean?" I feigned innocence. 

He darted over in a bolt of black. I felt the sharp tip of the Blade of Xeris under my throat. 

My eyes darted to the others. They shook their heads. 

"S-She's dead." I murmured unevenly. Gedeon shook his head in disbelief. 

"No. You're lying." he tried to convince himself as he stumbled back into the counter holding all the weapons. 

"I'm not." 

Lyna snapped her fingers as Vega appeared behind him. Her head was covered in sweat. There were twigs in her hair, and her abdomen was bloody. 

"My dearest..." he sobbed. Lyna looked away, as she couldn't bear to see such a graphic scene. There was a flash of purple. 

"Do you know why I was so patient to destroy the universe? Unlike my father, who hurried everyone around him, I was loyal to my followers. I was kind to them. I helped others who couldn't afford it. And what did you spoiled royals do? You killed my mother. She wasn't sick. She wasn't ill. And your father killed her, Pink." 

"No. I promise. He wouldn't-" Iris pleaded. 

"I don't want to hear it." 

"She's gone. She was the only thing I had. She was the only parental figure I had!" he screamed as he threw things across the room.

"And know you've taken Vega. My beloved." he chuckled darkly as he stared at the floor. 

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Nathaniel silently sawing away at the ropes that had captured us. He quietly slipped out of the net, and snuck around while the Knight was still facing the other way. 

He nodded at something invisible on his right. 

"And I'm going to destroy you first." the Black Knight cackled as he pointed his blade at Iris. She gasped and stumbled back into her net. He stomped over to her cage, and tried to impale the blade into her.

He hit something soft instead. 

"Vega!" Iris gasped. The invisibility spell wore off, and revealed a stabbed Vega. The illusion on the other side of the room dissipated, leaving a sad and disappointed Vega. 

"My darling!" Gedeon pulled the sword out and dabbed at the blood near her abdomen. 

"I'm sorry." she whispered in his ear. 

"No! This can't end like this!" Gedeon pleaded. 

"My love, I'm sorry to ask this of you. But please. Stop this. You're only making things worse for yourself. When I met you, you were kind and carefree. But now? You carry this burden on your shoulders because you think you can't shift the load onto another's. We could've carried to together. Just you and me. But your rage clouded your senses. You had to bring your mother back. Live for something new." 

Vega took a staggering breath. 

"Conserve your energy." Gedeon demanded, wrapping his cloak around her midsection. 

"I know my fate, Gedeon," she laughed weakly as she sat up, "you can stop this madness. For me. Te amo magis quam latissime patere atque longissimi turrim Oceanum. Amica mea..." 

Vega exhaled one last time as her head fell to the side slowly, her eyes closing and her lips parting softly. 

Gedeon sobbed over her body, which felt like forever. He took out the cloak from underneath her, and draped it over her body. 

He snapped his fingers, and the bottom of the net disappeared. We all dropped through, armed with our weapons. I grabbed the Blade, and we each grabbed out respective weapons. Dawn and Chandler enchanted theirs with a duplication spell. 

Gedeon slung out his own sword. He moved fast. 

He slashed at our shoulders, cutting us multiple times. He took a bit of blood, and dropped it into a small pot, tossing a strand of his hair into the mix. We all watched in awe as the pot exploded into a madness of golden light. 

"Gedeon?" a soft voice called. 

"Mother?" Gedeon responds. 

The woman in white looks over to the draped cloak in one corner, and stares at the nets in the middle of the room. Her gaze finally reaches us. Her eyes soften. Her eyes finally land on her son, his war-torn armor feeling heavy on his shoulders. 

She walks down on invisible steps, touching the floor with her dainty feet. 

"Why did he tear us apart?" he cried, taking the armor off his body, hugging her tightly. 

"What?" 

"The King." he responded bitterly. 

"This conquest? About that?" she tilts his chin up so that he may look at her. 

"He destroyed you." he explained. 

"No, my son. He did nothing. He was simply at the wrong place, wrong time." she sighed softly. 

"All this time..." he whispered to himself. 

Gedeon looked to Iris, as his eyes faded back to blue. 

"I'm so sorry." he whispers a quiet apology. The clank of his boots reach Iris' ears. She defensively puts up her hands, but he grabs them, and puts the remaining pieces of armor in her hands, a sign of resigning from a particular position. 

"I'm ready to go, mother." he smiles softly at the red-haired lady, and takes her hand, as they both head into the golden light. 

In the distance, I can almost see two other bright, smiling faces, making their way towards us. 

"I'd never thought I'd say this, my Queen, but you belong on the throne," a familiar, gruff voice says, much more gently than that of his counterpart. A large roar emits from a red pendant on Illene's neck as she smiles, while her eyes flash a scarlet red.