Balance: Green

LYNA'S POV 

"Illene was Graymorr's wife... and they had a son." Carissa murmured. 

"Gedeon." 

"Yes, I know." Carissa rolled her eyes. 

"Guys, let's not fight." Auriana protested. 

"But this is something worth fighting about." Talia pointed out. 

"It's one thing to destroy a tyrant who's been destroying Ephedia, but if he had a child? That puts every single one of us, especially the King, under the enforcement to abdicate all of our thrones." Talia said. 

"Please, speak in English." Lev asked. 

Talia fumed under her breath. 

"It's one thing to kill someone who's evil and destroying Ephedia. But if that person had a child, that means that you killed a FATHER. A father is one of the most important figures in Ephedian history. If anyone, besides us, figures this out, we might have to give up our thrones." Talia repeated, slowly. 

"But, we didn't know he had a child!" I protested. 

"We all defeated Graymorr together. The King was the one who wanted all of this. We ALL might have to abdicate our thrones." Auriana said worriedly. 

"We won't." 

Nathaniel rummaged through the rest of the stacks of papers and letters hidden in the secret compartment. 

"I found something!" he called. 

"What is it?" I asked. 

"It's a photo." he trailed off, his mouth agape. 

"With what?" 

"His son." 

"What does he look like?" Lev interrupted, marching across the room to look over Nathaniel's shoulder. 

"He's the man. The man who- who-" he gulped, and handed the paper to Carissa. 

"The Knight." 

"Gedeon." 

...

After the moment of complete silence, someone coughed in the doorway. 

"Guys. You should really get out of my father's study." Iris whispered, as she motioned for us to get out. I quickly closed the trapdoor, pulled the desk back on top of it, and snatched the photo that was still in Carissa's hand. She glared at me as she followed Iris out the door.

"What were you guys looking for?" she hissed, as Chandler and Dawn appeared from behind her. 

"Something tying your father to the name Illene." Carissa stepped in front of me as I tried to give her the photo 

Chander and Dawn shared another worried look. 

"You guys should stay out of it." Iris snapped. 

"But Iris, this could solve the mystery that we've-" Lev was cut off by her. 

"US? This is about you. We don't need to solve anything." Iris snapped again. 

"But.." I tried to explain, but she ripped the photo out of my hands and tore it in two. 

"Iris!" Carissa screamed. 

"What happened?" Nathaniel asked. stepping forward, grasping Iris' hand. She slowly slid it out of his grasp. 

Dawn picked up the torn photo and looked at it.

"Iris, this is crucial evidence." Dawn muttered, putting her hand on Iris' shoulder. Iris sighed in frustration and her tensed shoulders relaxed. 

"What is it?" she asked, as she looked at the photo.

"A picture of... Illene, Grayson, and Gedeon." Carissa read under the caption. 

"Wow. She's pretty." Chandler noted. 

"Dude, there's something wrong with you." Lev murmured. 

"Pfft." Chandler rolled his eyes. 

"Is that-" I trailed off. 

"Graymorr?!" Auriana whisper-shouted. 

"That can't be." Talia said in disbelief. 

"You better believe it." Dawn muttered. 

In the photo, which was now pieced together with white, flat crystals, had a fairly small scar where the rip used to be. There was a woman standing on the left, with a wine red hair. Her icy blue eyes shone with happiness, and her cheery disposition lit up the entire photo. On the right, Graymorr's light green hair was cropped short, while his dark green eyes piercing, but slightly cheerful. He wore a grape-purple cape, and on his breastplate was the Ephedian emblem. His smile was small, a little smug. In the middle, a young boy stood tall, with his blonde hair sticking up on end. His caramel eyes were filled with pride, and in his right hand was a piece of parchment, reading that he had won the carnival's knight-in-training certificate. His brilliant white smile outshone even the brightest of light. 

Behind the miniature family, the background's sky was bluer than the polluted one we have now. A circus top with a flag was high in the distance, and a tent, the Ospedale Itinerante, was brightly waving its flag. 

It hadn't been seen in centuries since Graymorr took over. I never knew of the happiness that Graymorr had, even before he was part of the takeover. 

Iris' eyes widened. 

"Uncle Grayson." 

"UNCLE?!" Dawn shouted. 

"SHH!" Chandler reprimanded, lightly smacking his sister on her hand. 

"Yes." Iris said.

"He was my mother's best friend growing up. He was a Wizard's apprentice, son of the Spirit of Nature. But the spirit of Nature was corrupted, as the pollution of crystals spread over the land of Ephedia, before we could uncorrupt the spirit, the knights of Ephedia defeated him, and he was gone, forever. But not before he could have a son, Grayson. Grayson tried with all his might to stop evil, but eventually, he became his own fear. My mother told me this story." 

We stopped in front of a stained glass window, where a figure, decorated in robes, was surrounded by trees and bushes. Spirals of golden glass symbolized the magic he had. Above, there was the same man, with the same mask that Graymorr used to wear. Instead of golden, mystical spirals, wisps of black magic contaminated the forest around him. 

In another window, a total of 5 different knights, clad in iron armor, fought him valiantly, and managed to subdue him, trapping his spirit underground, where he could due only minimal damage, such as earthquakes. 

"But, why? Why did he get contaminated?" Lev asked, puzzled. 

"His anger was not with the people of Ephedia, but with the crystals. the crystals continually destroyed the forces around him, complete with pollution. When the factories came, things only got worse. We tried to sign the Trattato Di Natura, but it was a ploy, to let down our defenses, and destroy the very thing that we hold dear, our crystals. Eventually, he turned into a dark spirit, consumed with anger and hatred, at crystals and Ephedians for  destroying his kingdom." 

Another window showed a wailing spirit under the ground. 

"What was the spirit's name?" Lyna inquired. 

"Ansel." 

We looked up at the final stained glass window, where a cheerful satyr, his horns growing out of his head, pranced jovially in the last meadow of nature.