A Hero Has Awoken

Luz's POV

Being a hero is not an easy job. There is a lot of risk that could happen to a hero. Two of the main ones are being injured or killed. Having little damage is something that I can get used to. But when it comes to dealing with the big guys, it's unbearable. I started my hero work at the age of thirteen. I know at that age I should be living my childhood life and focusing on school. But the thing is, I was homeschooled by the time I was heading to first grade. My mother was afraid for my safety over an incident that happened at my elementary school. It almost killed me but I was fine in the end with some injuries. Because of that, I decided to work on my skills to become a powerful hero.

I was inspired to be a hero once I started reading The Good Mage Azura at age ten. Azura was pretty much my role model in becoming a cool hero. I wanted to be like her to save people and let them know that there's no need to be afraid of anything because I would be there for them. My mom doesn't know about me being a hero. It's not that hard to convince her that I want to go walk around town when really I'm just doing hero work. I usually help people out during the day and sometimes at night. I'm glad my mother is a nurse so that way I can get my job done while she's out working for hours in the daylight. I don't intend on telling her because of the reaction she would have. Also, she might hit me with her chancla so there's no way I'm risking myself to tell her.

Now about us mages. There's fifty-five percent of people that are mages. The rest of the percentage are regular people with no power. A majority of the people who are mages aren't really strong. There's a scale that we can measure ourselves to see how high of a level we are in. It ranges from level one to ten. Level one being the weakest and level ten being the strongest and powerful. The majority of mages are between the range of level one to three. Fifteen percent of mages are in the range of level four to five. Seven percent are in level six to eight. One percent of mages are in level nine to ten. Those who are in the higher levels, use their magic for the greater good. But those who are below the level would use their magic for crimes to commit. That's where I step in.

---------------------‐--------------------------

10 years ago

Narrator's POV

"I'm sorry to inform you Ms. Noceda that your child will be a part of the forty-five percentage of people with no powers. By the time kids turn five years old, it's up to their genetics whether or not they get magic embedded inside their body. Let me ask you something Ms. Noceda. Do you or your previous partner have magic abilities? Any of the sort?" the doctor interrogated Luz's mother.

"My ex-husband was born being able to do magic. I wasn't born with any magic," Camila answered as she placed a hand on Luz's back.

"Hm I see. Well then, your daughter got your genes instead of her father's and there's nothing wrong with that. It happens most of the time in this case. The good thing is that Luz here is healthy. She received her vaccines, her blood pressure is fine, and her heart rate is excellent."

"Thank you so much doctor. My baby will remain healthy the next time we do another check-up," the mother shook hands with the doctor.

"Anytime Ms. Noceda. I look forward to it," the doctor waves.

"Come on mija. Let's go home," Camila held her daughter's hand on the way out of the clinic.

Luz wasn't happy about the visit to the doctors. On her way over, she was excited to hear that there is a chance she'll develop magic. After finding out she would just be a normal person with no magic, Luz became upset with the results. Camila noticed but didn't want to mention it to her daughter. Both Camila and Luz went in the car and went home in silence. Luz stared out the window at the back seat while Camila focused on driving and sometimes stared at the rear-view mirror to check on Luz. They both knew it was a bad day to hear disappointing news.