Surprise Birthday Party

Saturday 2:30 pm

Luz's POV

Two weeks have passed and today was my seventeenth birthday. I wasn't looking forward to it considering that I won't be doing anything fun. All I know is that I'll be blowing out candles and eating cake to end the day. But I am grateful to live another year for my birthday to come.

"Why are you not getting out of bed and getting dressed?" I heard my mother come to my room.

"I'll be stuck at home for today and it's not like I'm going out to get something."

"It's funny you said that because you actually are going out."

"Wait what?" I sat up from my bed to listen to what my mother was going to say.

"I have a list of stuff I need you to get for me while I do some cleaning around the house," my mom handed me cash and a piece of paper with a list of items that she needs.

'But didn't we just clean everything yesterday?' I questioned in my head.

"Okay. I'll be heading out in ten minutes."

I got up from my bed and went to my closet to search for some nice clothing. After I went to put on my socks and shoes, fixed my hair, then grabbed the list along with the money.

"I'll be right back mama."

"Take your time and no need to rush through cariño. Just text me when you are almost home."

"I will."

I closed the door behind me and checked under the mat to see if there was a key for the house door. There is one underneath so I left it alone and paced to the grocery store. I skimmed through the list that my mom gave me to see what she needed and I was skeptical about it. She needed five and a half pounds of meat, a small bag of rice and beans, and plates.

'Is she feeding the whole neighbor?' I laughed at the thought of it.

My mom is probably inviting people to celebrate my birthday. But who would she invite? I know for sure Eda will come and eat with us after her date with my mom was a success. I don't know who else she would invite besides my teacher. Maybe Eda will bring along her older sister, Lilith. I'm not sure who the rest of the meat is for but I can't wait to eat whatever my mom will cook.

It's been five minutes and I made it to the shopping center. I went inside to the usual grocery store that my mom and I always go to. There were quite a lot of people shopping for food items. What's worse was that there was a line of shoppers wanting to get meat, chicken, or fish. I had to grab a number ticket that says forty-five and the number shown on the wall says seventeen. This will take about an hour if everybody takes their time choosing whatever protein they'll get. I'm not sure if my mom wants me to hurry up but there's no way I can't.

Timeskip

Forty minutes had passed and I already got the bag of rice and beans as well as plates and all I needed was the meat. The last number the workers behind the counter called so far was thirty-seven. I had eight more numbers left to go then it will be my turn to get what I need.

3:35 pm

"Five and a half pounds please."

I watched as the worker was putting chunks of meat in a thick plastic bag. After he felt that there was enough meat in the bag, the guy placed it on a scale and showed that it weighed five point six pounds. He grabbed a sticker to close the bag and wrote how much the meat is worth.