Returning to School

Friday 4:15 pm

Luz's POV

The weekend is right around the corner and school is about to start in three days. These couple of days flew by like it was nothing. I told my mom the news Tuesday morning about Jessica moving. She was pretty shocked and devastated to hear about her leaving. My mother made sure I was okay considering that Jess is my friend. On the same day, it was Amity's birthday. I was happy that she is now a part of the seventeen group. The twins planned a party and invited our friends and I over. The sad thing is that her parents weren't there to celebrate. I felt awful about it and because Amity took notice, she told me not to worry about it.

Yesterday, Eda and I discussed an idea that I had about helping people who are in dangerous situations by buying a phone with a different number so they can call us for emergencies only. Eda thought it was a brilliant idea and went to a local phone shop as The Owl Lady to get us both a phone. We called a number that would help put up advertisement boards and posters with a picture of us and our new phone numbers.

As I roamed around the streets with Eda, I was already seeing people placing posters of us near bus stops, on advertisement boards, and taped onto buildings. There were even ones that were printed in the newspaper. This will all be going in the media and I hope our fans won't spam us with text messages or phone calls just to have a conversation. The phone numbers we've provided them are for emergencies only.

"Today has been pretty slow. The only thing we did so far was help someone find directions to the nearest gym and carry grocery bags for an old woman," Eda sighed in boredom, swinging her legs over the edge of our usual roof spot.

"But at least nobody is in trouble for now. We kinda need this to relax and take a nice break."

"Yeah, you're right. I'll be doing some push-ups. Wanna help me count?"

"Sure! I actually want to do a competition between us."

"What kind of competition?"

"Whoever can do the most push-ups is the winner. If I win, you get to teach me a new fire spell after our challenge."

"Okay then. If I win, you will do my house chores for a week."

"Deal," I conjoined my hand to Eda's as we shook on it.

My companion was up first to do push-ups. It took around two minutes before Eda collapsed.

"That's a total of eighty-eight push-ups."

"I could've done two extra to make it ninety but my damn arms gave out. At least I'm building more muscles for your mom to be impressed and maybe we'll get to be alone when you're gone that way we could fu-"

"No need to tell me anymore," I interrupted before she finished her sentence.

"Fine, fine. You're next kid."

I put myself in a plank and began doing my push-ups. Eda was silent but I figured she was counting in her head. My arms were burning from the force and pressure I was doing and soon I fell down onto my back with sweat dripping down.

I gazed at my comrade and asked," So, how many did I do?"

"Too bad for you, you've done eighty-five" Eda smirked as she answered.

"What?! How?"

"I don't know but what I do know is that you'll be cleaning my house."

"I can't believe I lost to an old lady," I pouted.

"Hey! That old lady you're talking about is right here listening to you. Plus I'm only forty-six years old so it's not that old to me."

"So that makes Lilith forty-eight since she is two years older than you."