An Offer From Hexside Highschool

3 years later

Luz's POV

"We love her!"

"She'll be going in the history book."

"She's one of the most well known mages around the world."

"An interview with the famous hero."

"Firelight is a role model to kids and young adults."

"What is the story behind your name, Firelight?"

That's mostly what I see on TV. Me. Firelight. The hero everyone loves and knows about. It's really not a surprise that everybody is obsessed with me. I can kick ass and catch criminals in the act. Not only that but I save people from harm's way. People started to hear about me after I've done little things to help people out. When I was close to being fifteen years old, I started to catch bad guys and make sure that justice was brought to the people who those criminals did dirty to. I came out as a symbol of peace and fire. I was passionate, fiery, calm, and confident to everyone. That is a perfect description of me. My mother doesn't know about my hero work. I make sure to hide my mask and cape whenever I'm done wearing it. I added a spell on my mask to allow me and only me to wear it. It sticks to my face and I made sure that it wasn't too heavy for my face. I secretly had gotten the clothes I wanted to wear while doing my hero work.

My mom's work schedule has changed from working at two to eleven o'clock at night. It sucks because my mom and I won't be able to spend as much time together as we used to. But at least I'm able to do my job to help people without my mom knowing. The biggest challenge I haven't conquered yet is catching two criminals that are the most wanted. Their names are Belos and Kikimora. Belos is the mastermind behind these criminal acts. I heard he uses control and manipulating magic on innocent people to commit crimes and destruction on the city. No one knows who he or Kikimora looks like because of the mask and clothing they wear. When I'm not dealing with anything while on hero duty, he's the main person on my mind to look for and catch. I hate it so much that he and his assistant haven't been caught yet. But I don't blame the authorities as he is strong. He's my number one enemy and I'll be sure to take him down.

My mother approached me in my room and sat down on my bed to ask me, "So Luz, are you excited to be a junior?"

"Not really. It feels the same as usual when I'm going to the next grade level," I replied.

"Are you feeling this way because you're homeschooled?" my mother read my mind.

"To be honest, yes. I want to go out and make friends. I never got to experience what it feels like to be a middle schooler and a highschooler. I'd feel better if I went to an in-person school," I confronted.

"I know mija and I'm sorry that I haven't allowed you to experience what teenagers are experiencing now. But you know how scared I am to lose you after what happened."

"Those were years ago ma. I'm older now and I can protect myself. I've gotten stronger with and without my magic. There's no need to be afraid of losing me. I'll always be here no matter what mom. Plus I wouldn't let anyone take me down so easily," my hand landed on my mother's as she sighed.

"I know. You're my only baby and the only family I have."

"Mom, come on. Nothing bad will happen to me," I smiled brightly.

"Whatever you say Luz. Anywho, can you go to the mail while I prepare us some lunch?"

"Yeah!" I got up from my bed with my mom following as I walked outside.