Chapter 20: Reckoning (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)

(*Walks in and smiles awkwardly.* Heeyy! How's it goin? Heh... been a while. *scratches head awkwardly* Okay I'll just cut to the chase xD. I highly appreciate RamonaFranz, LimeLightt, ZilliusVoltaris, Midnighttnightmare72, LydiaOrgas, dontquit002, Fishy_Fish_ , Zahhydude2, and SoWreporter for following the random weirdo writer that is me. But however you all found your way here to this side of nowhere, WELCOME! I'm glad you've all decided to come here! I hope you enjoy your stay with this wacky writer girl!🤓 Please feel free to leave comments in each chapter, I love reading everyone's reactions. Anyway... enjoy. 😁)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Feeling someone shake his shoulder, Ingressus opened his eyes. The sun shone down through a hole in the roof of the cave. His mind didn't feel as foggy, and his ears had stopped ringing. But as much as he'd hoped, pain still laced across his body. Thankfully, not as severely as before.

"Well, you don't look like a gutted dead fish, so there's something. Actually, I take that back. You look like a wrapped gutted dead fish." Ingressus recognized the voice immediately. Everything sounded clearer again! His thoughts were easier to comprehend.

He heard the sharp sound of a light smack. Raineus clutched the back of his head. "Ow, I was just being honest! What, you want me to say 'he looks fine?' Cause look at him, he's not," Raineus said while gesturing down towards Ingressus in his weakened state.

Tealeon rolled his eyes. "Or you could just shut up instead of stating the factual obvious. I'm sure Ingressus knows he's not fine, without your fish for brains telling him," Tealeon said jokingly. He looked down while Ingressus sat up.

"How long have I been here?" Ingressus asked.

"Awhile. We've been visiting every now and then. You should consider yourself lucky, you could have been hurt way worse than this."

"Well, I feel like I've reached that point already," Ingressus said casually.

"Yep, you sure are an overachiever," Raineus said, before huffing and hunching over once Tealeon had elbowed him in the stomach.

Ingressus smirked. As annoying as Raineus could be, Ingressus was glad to hear his friend's light-hearted humor. It made him feel less anxious. Humor could often help others sometimes.

"Where are we?" Ingressus questioned.

"Master Aegus' cave," Tealeon answered.

Ingressus felt somewhat relieved to be back in the sanctuary of the Master's cave. Looking around at all the familiar decorations. He always felt safe here. It was and had been, the first 'new' place he had discovered after waking up in this strange land of fishers. With their calming ways, simple duties, and the lushful land's ever-changing color of the seasons.

"I can see that a few days of rest did you some good," Tealeon remarked. "A lot of your swelling went down and your skin has most of its color back. You don't have to worry about changing your bandages, someone already took care of that."

Bandages... he needed to have his bandages changed? Ingressus looked down at the wraps of cloth covering his arms, legs, and torso. He had hardly noticed them... How bad must his injuries have been for him to wind up like this?

He remembered the stranger from the previous night. The shadow with the gentle, compelling voice. The stings that he had felt. Could the voice have been the one to have bandaged his wounds after he had fallen asleep?

Hold still, you big baby. Do you want me to let you sleep in your own blood?

This was his chance to get an answer.