Chapter 2: Welcome Home (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)

(Would suggest listening to Reflection by Christopher Larkin)

Ingressus' face was numb, he could barely feel his fingers to keep a grip as he helped Blazien drag the deer through the snow. At least with his face being numb, he couldn't feel the large scratches stinging on his cheek. Ingressus could tell Blazien was exhausted and in a much worse state. His feet would shuffle and drag across the ground. From the large scratches he had gotten from the wolf, then having to drag a full-grown deer through heavy snowfall, could only make his pain worse. But they both knew it was worth it. They had done well today. Ingressus couldn't even remember the last time a deer had ever been brought back. Mostly it was snow hares, sometimes a boar if they were lucky. But it was never enough. The predators on the mountains were constantly stealing their food. Ingressus looked ahead, seeing the trees breaking away. They were almost out of the forest.

The wind picked up even more once they'd cleared the tree line. In front of them was a large hill. Blazien looked down at Ingressus as he breathed heavily.

"We are nearly there, just up this ravine," Blazien said, out of breath.

With the last of their strength, they drag their prize up the hill. Once they'd reached the top, they walk into a large stone clearing. Stone arches like jagged teeth, rose out of the ground, making a protective barrier around a cave entrance. Blazien and Ingressus could see guards posted outside. Both having the same red markings the siblings had. The guards spotted the brothers and run out to meet them, holding their arms protectively over their faces from the harsh wind. "Where have you two been?! Master Dominus was getting ready to send out a search party for the both of you!"

"The hunt was longer than we expected. We ran into trouble along the way," Blazien replied. Both of the guards assisted in dragging the deer through the cave entrance. The icy blast of wind that had been a constant annoyance, ceased once they'd entered the cave. The brothers finally having a restful respite from the cold blizzard they had endured all day. They followed the second guard along the dimly lit pathway. Their footsteps echoing while they walked deeper down the tunnel. Ingressus could see the narrow tunnel opening until they walk into a large cave.

(Would suggest listening to Little Nightmares- The Hideaway- Nome Shadows)

Fires and torches were scattered all around. But Ingressus could also see the countless glow of red markings of other Voltaris. Some sat down by fires, others stood over in corners and talked. Many were just sitting in the shadows of the cave, staring into the fires deep in thought. Ingressus could also hear hacking coughs echoing from the far side of the cave of those still fighting sickness... Years prior, they'd had to move to different locations, for reasons unknown to Ingressus. But, so far, this cave had been his second home and the group's hidden sanctuary for three years. Even though there were still countless groups of Voltaris scattered throughout the mountains...

The two brothers followed the guard to the center of the cave, where a Voltaris, whose markings were a deeper shade of red, yet bore a similar resemblance to the siblings', spoke urgently with another in a deep voice. Obsian, the second in command, finished talking with the Master. A look of concern crossed Master Dominus' face. "Are you certain?" Obsian simply nods to the question. Silence settled around them as Master Dominus thought about what his second in command had reported to him.