Chapter 11: Tip of the Spear (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)

(Would suggest listening to My Rose by Peder Helland)

(Achillean's POV)

Achillean opened his eyes and yawned. His eyelids felt heavy, he wanted to go back to sleep so bad... He and his friends had hung out at the meadow all day yesterday, leaving him exhausted. He slowly sits up and stretches, and crawls out of his bed.

Walking over to a chest, he opens it to find a few apples still left over. Achillean grabs one and starts munching on it to quell his growling stomach.

They had played many fun games in the meadow yesterday: shark, hide and seek, tag; they even managed to find small flat stones! Normally the adults didn't allow the younger ardoni to skip stones on the ocean water near shore, since it scared the fish away. But, they were more than able to skip stones on the meadow's pond!

They had been trying to see who could throw their stone out the farthest. With a good underhand throw, the stones flew over the pond. They all had watched as the flat stones skipped and hopped over the water, leaving ripples in their wake. In the end, Tealeon had won the game. He had a good throwing arm!

Finishing his apple, Achillean walks out of his hut preparing to walk to Master Aegus' cave. Once he steps out of his hut and pulls the vines down over the entrance to his hut, he turns around and gasps in surprise! Ingressus was standing patiently, ready to go. He looked more awake than Achillean felt.

"I-Ingressus, you're up early! Wow, you gave me quite a scare!" Achillean said.

Ingressus smiles. "I didn't mean to scare you. So are you ready to go?"

Achillean smiled, Ingressus was obviously excited. As promised from the previous day, Leora had spoken with a few other Nestoris and had gotten permission for Ingressus and himself to do spearfishing today.

"Yes I'm ready, have you already eaten breakfast?" Achillean asked.

Ingressus nods. "Yeah, Master Aegus left snacks on the shelves."

Achillean and Ingressus start following the gravel path they were all too familiar with, the same path they would take day after day to get to the stone pier they always fished on. But today they wouldn't have to walk as far out.

"So have you ever tried this before?" Ingressus asks curiously.

Achillean shook his head. "No, this is my first time like you. I've always watched others do it. But like Serena said yesterday, it has to be hard."

"We won't know unless we try!" Ingressus says.

Achillean smiles. "You're never this awake when we leave to go to the pier."

Ingressus gives him a confused look and slightly smiles. "I have no idea what you mean."

Achillean laughs. "Come on! When we first start the day, there are times you start to doze off and nearly fall off the pier!"

Ingressus scratches the back of his head. "Yeah...well, this is something new."

Achillean gives a humorously offended face. "Are you saying I bore you?"

Ingressus laughs at this and lightly elbows Achillean. "That's not what I meant. But Leora did have a point, all we do is sit all day. It would be nice to do something different."

Achillean and Ingressus walk out of the trees and see the gravelly beach of the spearfishing shore. Looking over, they see Leora facing the ocean, spinning her spear around slowly.