Chapter 6: The Fight Goes On (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)

(Would suggest listening to Sendaria Burning by AfterInfinity)

(Ingressus' POV)

Ingressus was inside the medical cave, sword in hand as he faced the only way in. He was still mad that Titus had dragged him here. He wanted to be with his father and brother! But, once Ingressus had entered the room against his will, he noticed the many ill and injured Voltaris. No sooner had he seen his fellow clanmates in their condition, Ingressus felt selfish that he had wanted to experience the thrill of battle, fighting out there, when there were Voltaris here inside the camp who needed protecting. Some of them were warriors and hunters themselves, but they didn't have the luck that Blazien and himself had gotten the day before with the wolves... Many of the sick were trying to quiet their coughing. Those who had been resting were woken up immediately. They all needed to be alert... Even if he couldn't fight in the battle, Ingressus would make sure no one got through.

He watched the entrance in the shadows, all the fires and torches had been put out, leaving the entire cave in a blinding darkness. The only light in the medical cave was the faint glow of blood-red markings illuminated by beating hearts. Ember and Titus stood off to the side, their Clan's healer doing her best to help cover up and hide the Voltaris under animal skins.

Everything was quiet at first. Ingressus could hear haunting whispers of wind blowing down into the cave, and the gentle dripping of water from the stalagmites. Could the scout have been wrong? Maybe he was just in shock after being attacked by an animal? Ingressus had seen Voltaris who had gone crazy when they were near the jaws of death. Was this just a similar circumstance?

Ingressus jumped, his grip tightening on his sword when he heard the sounds of rumbling explosions echoing down into the cave below. Had the fight already come?! Ember and Titus heard the sounds of battle as well, grabbing their weapons, they walk over and stand beside Ingressus. Titus wielded an ax, while Ember carried two small blades. Ingressus wondered if Ember knew how to fight, he had only ever seen her use needles to help stitch wounds. Or sometimes used a heated knife to cauterize a deep wound.

Ingressus turned his attention back to the entrance, hearing tapping sounds... footsteps. Lots of footsteps thundering down into the cave... All the Voltaris in the small room tensed as they waited, welcoming the comfort of silence. Orange-yellow lights danced across the walls of the outer cave, outlining the shadows of their carriers as their voices echoed through the cave.

"Search every part of the perimeter and the tunnels. We have to make sure all are defeated!" a deep voice rumbled.

Ingressus felt nervous, it was only a matter of time before they would be discovered. Ember quietly walked forward, going up to the doorway, standing right beside the entrance, not moving. Looking back, she motioned her hand towards Ingressus, sending him a silent command: Come here. He walked forward, going to the opposite side of the small entrance. Ember seemed to be on the same thought process, knowing they would be discovered soon as well.

Both were quiet as they stood like silent sentries, only a few moments passed before they both heard footsteps coming closer to the entrance. Ember gave Ingressus a single nod, lightly tapping the edge of one of her blades against her right leg. Ingressus understood the plan. The footsteps got louder until their maker made himself be seen as an ardoni with purple markings walked through the doorway. Ingressus quickly kicks the stranger's right leg and unbalances him, bringing the ardoni to one knee. While Ember quickly stabbed her knife through the back of his neck, his purple markings go dark. Titus dragged the warrior's body into the room so it would not be easily spotted.