Ch.8: Police Station

I woke up to red and blue lights flashing outside. Police sirens were heard all throughout the neighborhood. All of my friends were either gossiping in the corner or watching the scene from outside. Someone broke into the house across a street from my house and killed my elderly neighbor named Cherrie. She was also drained of blood.

"Why would anyone kill Cherrie?," Dahlia asked.
"They also said old Dean Rivers was found dead after we got out of school," Veronica added.
"Do you have an idea who would be killing them?," Jessica asked.
"Well, Cherrie and Dean were older," Selena said.
"But Cherrie was very much alive. She was still running marathons," Angela cried.
"Dean Rivers was literally in the middle of hunting when he died," Dahlia added.
"Your brother was also in the middle of hunting," Jessica said.
"My dad said this has happened before. It happened many times even when he was a baby," I said.
"But it makes no sense," Jessica said finally.

My dad made all of my friends go home and make our trip to Port Angeles next Saturday, instead. Alice had called and begged my father to come to their house, but my father had said "no". He was being very strict for two reasons but for good reason. He took me with him in the cruiser to his station. Carlisle's Mercedes was there already and I was forced to sit at a random desk. I saw Carlisle talking to Charlie and walked over to me.

"There's Miss Bella," he greeted with a smile.
"Hi Carlisle," I greeted.
"You seem very scared," he said.
"Kinda but I want to know something," I said.
"What's wrong?," he asked.
"Is Cassius alright?," I asked.
"He's been doing awful. I mean we got him to drink animal blood for three months and now he's snapped," Carlisle whispered.
"Is Cassius making all of the fog and music?," I asked.
"No, of course not," he said.

I feel there was an edge in his voice that was lying to me. He also said "no" and "not" in the same sentence. That's a double negative! Charlie came over and Carlisle went back to talking to each other. I saw that Charlie had a stack of older cases on the corner of his desk. I took one of them and looked at the report.

Thomas Alvin Bright
Born: August 5, 1943
Died: September 3, 1964 (age 21)
Cause of Death: Drained of Blood/ Sustained a broken leg and head trauma before death

I called Edward and he picked up quickly. I heard him arguing with Rosalie. I looked around and to see if I wasn't in either of Charlie's or Carlisle's earshot.

"What's wrong?," he asked.
"May I ask you something?," I asked.
"Of course," he responded.
"Is Cassius a Siren?," I asked.
"Why do you ask?," Edward asked.
"Because three people have died since he started coming to school, and he was having hunger control problems at school," I hissed.
"Bella, Cassius didn't kill Cherrie or that other old guy," Edward said. "I know that for a fact because I was with him and he had animal blood".
"You sure?," I asked.
"Of course," he replied.

He as well had an edge to his voice as if he was lying to me. Were Carlisle and Edward lying for Cassius? For what reason, though? To protect him? I looked at the receptionist and she was busy. I logged onto Charlie's computer.

"What's Cassius's biological name?," I asked.
"Cassius Presley Dean," Edward said. "Why"?

Cassius Presley Dean
Born: March 31,1940
Died: August 5, 1958 (age 18)
Cause of Death: Overdosed on meth/ drained of blood

"He overdosed on meth?," I asked.
"Yeah, but he didn't die from it. Some random vampire came and turned him," Edward said. "Wait- why did you ask"?
"I looked up his death report," I said as I snooped and saw of his arrest records.
"Bella, why?," he asked.
"I'm stuck at a police station, duh. He's been arrested for having illegal drugs on him about five times, and underage drinking about three times," I read.
"Yes, he's been arrested a few times," Edward sighed. "Bella, just leave Cassius alone. He's going through enough".

Edward hung up the call immediately and I became dumbstrucked. Why would Edward talk that way to me? I feel like they are hiding something from me and it makes me even more annoyed, because they considered me family.