10 ~ Shirts and Sleepovers

Jonathan

Seconds tick by and still, Adelaide sits there not uttering a single word. Just staring. Like a cat. It's starting to creep me out.

I snap my fingers in front of her face. Maybe her gears got stuck, "Earth to Addy."

Her eyes go wide and she jerks her arms, tossing the clothes back at me. They land on my face then tumble to the floor. I sigh and close my eyes at the ceiling. Why must she always be so weird?

I walk over to her, grip her waist, lift her up and in the apartment, set her back on her feet, then shut the window. Satisfied, I nod then hand her back the clothes from the floor.

Her face red, she stutters, "You-you," a breath, "You just picked me up."

"I did."

She glares and lifts the clothes into my face, "Why?"

Lifting my eyebrow, "You want to sleep in that?" I ask gesturing to her robber outfit.

Adelaide tilts her head in confusion, glances at her clothes and glares back at me, "Hold the frick up. Backtrack a little. What did you say?"

I furrow my brow. Is she actually on drugs? Did she not hear what I just said?

She sighs sarcastically and points at the window, "Right after you gave me your clothes! Don't think we're just gonna skip right over that!"

I rewind in my head. Making sure to pause for dramatic effect. I mean, this is Adelaide we're dealing with. "Ohh, that. What about it?"

Her shoulders slump. "Repeat it. So I know I'm not crazy. So I know you actually suggested such a thing."

I take a step closer to her and she leans away, making contact with the wall, "Sleep in my bed?"

She ducks and shuffles around me, putting some distance between us. "Y-yeah that! Isn't this moving waaaay too fast?" She starts fanning her shirt and looks around, avoiding eye contact. "Is it hot in here? It's hot in here. Open the window, Let the breeze in. Actually I need to go home." She starts fast walking towards the window and I hold out my arm, blocking her.

"You sleep in the bed. Not me. You."

Addy's head snaps to me, "What?"

I raise my eyebrows, "Oh you didn't think I was suggesting that we," I motioned between us, "sleep together? Oh definitely not. I was trying to be considerate of you by letting you take the bed."

Her face still bright red, she scoffs, "I knew that! I would never think that that's what you meant, of course not."

She looks around and her eyebrows furrow, "Where will you sleep?"

I shrug, "The couch."

A look of worry and guilt takes over her features as she fidgets and looks around my apartment, avoiding eye contact. "W-why don't I take the couch. I don't want to take over the bed. Plus you're taller than me. Theres no way you'd sleep comfortably on that couch."

There's no way I'm letting her sleep on the couch. I shake my head, "No."

"What do you mean No?"