01 ~ The Beginning

Jonathan

I knew the moment I heard her voice echoing through the stairwell that this day was going to be shitty. I mean she was singing for god's sake. This isn't a musical, it's reality. You get mocked for shit like that. Got to admit though, I could've sworn Larry from the third floor was blastin' music again. Shes not half bad.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't like the way she got all flustered by me. I used to get that reaction all the time from girls. Not since last summer. I used to be one of the attractive guys at school but not most popular. Now I'm the "Black Valley Bad Boy". Cringy nickname. I hate it, I'd never say that shit out loud.

My crowd was laid-back, chill, the ones that everyone knew and everyone liked. I had a bit if a reputation of turning women down. I prefer to stay reserved but I knew how to party. Not that I've been invited to one since the incident. Don't get me wrong, I like to show up to them just to create some chaos.

I was living with my Dad but he's been staying with his girlfriend for the past year and a half, now I live alone. I like it. The quiet, the feeling of being able to do whatever I want and not having to listen to an authority figure.

Walking through the hallway door to my apartment floor, I notice two kids hauling boxes into the apartment next to mine. Must be that lady's family. They better be that "keep to themselves" type. Like everyone else in this building. As I'm turning the key to my apartment I flinch as I feel a hand grab my arm. Spoke too soon.

"Hey, could you help me out? I've lost all my strength and my legs are starting to shake." I turn and see one of the kids moving in next door grabbing my arm. She's pointing to a medium sized box next to her.

"Can't. Busy. Sorry," I breathe as I yank out of her grip and enter my apartment, slamming my door behind me. Maybe that'll give them a hint. Leave the neighbors alone.

I head to take a nice hot shower, then make dinner. Spaghetti sounds good. Freshly showered, I set the water on the stove to boil as my phone bings. That could only mean Nick.

Shithead: Can't make it tonight, gotta reschedule

Should've seen that coming. I hope he knows I'm not giving him his fake ID for free anymore. We had plans to go to an underground club tonight and he bailed. Again. Third week in a row.

Nick is all I have left when it comes to friends. Known him since middle school. We don't go to the same high school so he doesn't believe any of the bullshit. That doesn't mean he doesn't get on my nerves. That flake.

After eating, someone knocks on my door. No one knocks on my door. Nick just comes in and everyone else in the building leaves me alone. Which means it's my new neighbors. Yay. I walk to the door with no hurry. I open it to the girl from the roof. Adelaide something, can't remember the last name.

"What do you want?" I sigh as I lean on the door frame crossing my arms.

She noticeably stiffens and looks down slightly to my chest to avoid eye contact. "My mom thought it would be a kind gesture to introduce ourselves to our neighbors," she admits as she lifts a small baggie of cookies and pushes it towards me. She looks back up and into my eyes, "I'm sorry about earlier on the roof, I guess you could also count this as an apology gift." I don't like the way she looks at me. Like I'm some kind of puzzle she needs to solve. Like I haven't been being blatantly rude.