48 ~ The End

Jonathan

"Run, run! Hurry!" Adelaide yells, laughing so hard she's starting to fall behind.

Our white gowns are flapping behind us as we run to the truck Emery's parents got for her graduation gift. I'm pulling Adelaide's hand, getting out of breath from laughing. Emery almost trips on a crack in the side walk but Nick grabs her hand, yanking her to continue running.

"Our parents are gonna be pissed!" Nick yells, his other hand holding his cap, weaving around a student and their family.

"They got their pictures, they'll live!" I chuckle, scooping Addy up into my arms as we run.

She screams, wrapping her arm around my neck and throwing her other in the air, "We graduated! We're finally done with high school!"

We make it to the truck, loading inside and pulling out of the parking lot so fast some people flip us off and fallow up with some colorful words. Nick ignores them, taking aux and blasting the perfect song to fit the moment.

"Watch this!" Emery rolls all the windows down and a wide sunroof opens up, all our hair going crazy in the wind.

Adelaide screams with laughter as Nick stands on his seat, his hands straight up as he hollers to the warm afternoon sky.

Addy takes off her gown, revealing her simple white lace dress and crawls into my lap. She turns her back to the door, winks at me then bends backwards, her head and arms hanging out the window as she yells, "We did it bitches!" I quickly hold onto her waist to make sure she doesn't fall out.

Emery laughs and repeats Adelaide. Nick looks down at me with shock on his face. I smirk and shrug. I guess Addy learned to love the stress relief cuss words bring. It's so euphoric to just scream fuck on the top of your lungs.

Bad influence or not I'm glad I'm the reason she has the confidence to do so.

Nick sits back down in the truck when Emery turns onto a dirt road leading up to a look out of Black Valley. It's too long to walk so we planned to drive up here to watch the sunset when we found out Emery was getting the perfect truck for off roading. She said she used to come up here all the time with her uncle before he died so she knows the safest path.

Once we get to the top Emery parks it with the bed closest to the edge of the hill but not too close.

Twenty minutes later we're all lazing on the bed of the truck, soft music playing in the background.

"I'm so happy."

I turn my head, Adelaide smiling at the clouds as she continues, "I went from a lonely sheltered girl to having a sexy boyfriend and the greatest friends a girl could ask for."

My heart starts to beat faster and the breeze makes brings goosebumps to my skin. I may be flawed, we may all be but, there is room to grow and I'm buzzing with excitement to witness that change.

"This year was life altering for sure," Emery sighs, lifting a hand to point in the distance. "There's my prison."

We all look at the hill on the opposite side of town, the Blackwell mansion so big it's visible from even here.