13 ~ Jealousy and Jerseys

Adelaide

A month later

      "Hey Ads!" I turn to see Emery running down the hallway, her perfect teeth shining bright with her perfect smile. Jealousy. That is what I feel. Why is she so pretty? Gods? What gives?

"Hey sexy, love the fit," I wiggle my eyebrows, exaggerating checking her out. She's wearing dark skinny jeans, a vintage nike windbreaker, and some black and white vans. The football team won a game this weekend so we earned a Casual Clothes Day where we don't have to wear our uniforms. Some students still chose to wear theirs, probably to avoid people like Cara who snicker and whisper. If you don't follow fashion trends you're bullied. So immature.

Emery giggles, "Oh stawp! Look at you! You look adorable, where'd you get that skirt by the way? I've been looking for one just like it," She gestures to my white pleated skirt. Im wearing a pastel blue oversized sweater with an embroidered heart on the front, a white pleated skirt, and my blue high top converse. I love monochrome outfits, something about it makes me feel fuzzy and warm inside.

I smile and twirl, "I ordered it from a thrifting store online! Its so cute huh? I'll send you the link." We chat and laugh then head to our first period classes.

Morning classes go by agonizingly slow. Normally I enjoy school but the past couple weeks I get so exhausted listening to teachers yap and yap. Don't get me wrong, my grades are still perfect but my attention span has gotten shorter.

It's lunch now so I walk outside towards the bleachers to meet Emery. Climbing the stairs I groan dramatically and plop down next to her. She laughs at me and pats my back. "Having a fun day huh?"

"Why is Mr. Davis such a creep? I caught him staring at like every girl's booty and tatas? How hasn't he been fired?"

Emery bursts out laughing, "I have no clue, but he's been working here for like 15 years or something."

My face twists in disgust, "Oh gods. That's terrifying." I shiver, making Emery laugh harder.

We babble and eat, watching some people chasing and tackling each other on the grass field. I notice a group of people exit the cafeteria doors and walk towards a outdoor table. "Do you still talk to them?" I ask Emery, still looking at them as they laugh, probably about something superficial.

She follows my line of sight and shakes her head, "No. It's just so uncomfortable to be around them now. They always get all quiet around us, and when they do talk it's only if they have to, to break the awkward silence." I just nod slowly.

I don't hate people. I don't have enough room in my heart for hate. But I think the feelings I have for Bree Hanson come pretty close to the emotion called hate.

"I just don't understand how they all stand up for her. She lied about me, right in front of me. How confident do you have to be in your lying abilities to do that? I suck at lying!" I turn to Emery and she just smiles softly.

"Yeah you kinda do," She looks back at them and sighs. "They're so oblivious to her. They're all wrapped around her finger and don't even realize it."

"I'm sorry, I know they were your friends."

"Don't apologize. The fact that they could cut me out of their group so easily is proof they never really thought of me as a friend. Plus now I have you," She wraps her arm around me, I giggle and hug her back when the bell rings, indicating lunch is over.