30 ~ Keys and Kris

Adelaide

"Adelaide, come clean the living room!"

I groan and slam my book closed. Reading about the perfect fertilization technique for tomatoes isn't as therapeutic as usual. I move to open my door and peek out into the living room.

"The living room looks fine though?" I look around, not seeing a single thing out of place. Only minimalistic Christmas decorations and no clutter. Which is how it normally is when your mom is bordering on OCD.

Mom breaths and places her hands on her hips in that obnoxious mother like way. "At least vacuum or something."

She's rarely this uptight. Something is wrong, "Did something happen? Is someone important coming over or something, on Christmas Eve?"

She collapses onto the chair behind her and checks her phone, "Your brother is coming."

The hair at the back of my neck stands up, "Kris? He's coming? Now? Why?"

"Stop rambling. He texted me he was getting on a plane. He said it was a surprise. He'll be here later tonight." She massages her temples with her fingers, "You know I hate surprises."

Yes I am well aware. "How long will he be here?"

She stands and moves to the kitchen, "Since it was a last minute thing he'll only be here until Christmas night. So irresponsible. Traveling across the country for only a day. If only he told me I would've helped him get a better ticket."

"Well it is Kris you're talking about."

She starts to do the dishes mumbling under her breath as she does it.

I haven't seen Kris since the beginning of October, the day we left Oregon to move here. Doesn't seem like that long ago but considering this is the longest we've been apart it feels like forever. Although I'm not too thrilled to see him. His personality has practically taken a complete 180 since he started dating his girlfriend two years ago.

His goofy and fun-loving nature has been replaced with a serious, stone-faced maturity. He says that since he is an adult now he needs to focus on his future and can't be wasting his time acting like a child. Apparently laughing at farts and poop jokes is too good for him now. Having a sense of humor at all is immature. Who knew.

I go back in my room and shut the door. I should focus on getting ready. I turn on youtube as I do my hair and makeup.

As I finish my phone flashes as a text comes through.

Nick: You home?

I wonder why he's asking that. Me: Yup yup

I see the bubble pop up indicating he's typing and wait for his reply.

Nick: Come over to Jonathan's, I have a surprise for you ;)

Ehhhh, that kinda scares me. Nicks idea of a surprise is probably something sexual. Or illegal. Or both.

Throwing caution to the wind, I shove my feet into some slippers. I don't want to risk agitating mom any more than she already is so I decide to slip out my window onto the fire escape. I crouch and peek inside to see if Nick is inside.