12 ~ it's raining.

Adelaide

     After everything that happened at the park, I completely lost my appetite. I made an excuse to leave and apologized to Emery. She texted me a while after saying she left as well. It was apparently too awkward after I left. Bree stopped crying not too long after I went home. Shocker.

When I got back to the apartments, Jonathan's car was gone. Maybe he's with that friend I met, Nick I think? I got kind of bummed out because I was hoping I could talk to him. He calms me down. And right now I could really use it.

Luckily though, five minutes after I got home it started raining. So I placed my longest hanging plant on the fire escape. For a couple hours I sat on my bed next to the window reading. Sadly I didn't read much because I kept getting distracted by the rain and getting lost in my thoughts.

I know it hasn't been that long but I'd like to think I know Jonathan pretty well. He may not wear his heart on his sleeve but when he relaxes, he laughs and jokes just like any other person. He's a brat but is never overly rude. He knows how to be sweet and never gets annoyed when I talk too much. He denies it but he enjoys having me around. Sometimes when I'm rambling on about a story to him I catch him with a small smile on his lips. He loves his sister. He secretly likes sweet things. He doesn't like wearing colorful clothes. I may not know his past or about his family but I know his heart. There's no way he did everything Bree accused him of.

I look back down at my book when I hear a light thump on my window. My head snaps up and another thump happens, when a pebble falls off the windowsill and through the bars of the fire escape. A thrill spreads through my chest making me smile goofily. I kneel, reaching up to unlock my window. I open it and peer over to the window next door, careful not to let the rain hit me.

Jonathan is looking blankly at me and uses his thumb to point back at the door of his apartment. I nod enthusiastically, ducking back into my room, making sure to close my window and leave it unlocked. I put on a long coat and my purple rain boots.

On my way through the living room, my mom is sitting on the couch, "Where're you heading off to in this weather?"

I stop and glance at the window. The rain isn't even coming down that hard. "I-I wanted to get some snacks from the gas station." Nice Adelaide. Stuttering is very convincing.

She looks me over then presses play on her show again and waves me off haphazardly, reminding me to be careful. Success!

Walking one door down, I lightly knock on Jonathan's door. He opens it a couple seconds later and I walk inside. I toss off my rain boots by the door, then collapse onto his couch with a oof. "You're a bad influence Miller. Or should I say good? I'm learning to be a Master of Deceit. My mom will never know if I'm lying or telling the truth. Muahaha."

I wait for his response but when it doesn't come I lift my head. He's leaning against the kitchen counter with his arms crossed, staring at me. I look away avoiding his gaze. After what happened today, if I start to talk about it I just know i'll start crying. I've always hated confrontation. Whenever someone gangs up on me and accuses me of things I didn't do, my anxiety gets so bad. Not to mention how upset I got when they were talking bad about Jonathan. I'm a very sensitive person, when I get frustrated, I cry. When I get anxious, I cry. That's just how I am.

"What's wrong," He says, not sounding like a question.

I feel my body stiffen, "Nothing."