Chapter 19

Alina's P.O.V

"It's taking too long." I said as the taxi stopped due to traffic.

"It's not too far now, don't worry." Madiha reassured me.

I felt restless. Worried. I felt like crying.

We finally reached the hospital. I immediately leaped out and ran towards the elevator.

Madiha came running and I pressed the button for the floor Rehaan texted me.

I rushed out as soon as the doors opened. I stopped a nurse and asked, "Aman Khan or Rehaan? Which room are they in?"

"Right there, ma'am." She said guiding me towards a room.

"Thank you." I said. I knocked on the door and heard a faint come in.

Rehaan was laying on the bed. "Are you okay? What happened?" I asked.

"I am fine." He shifted a bit. "I am sorry to call you so suddenly."

"It's okay. You are okay, right?" Madiha asked softly.

He smiled. "Were you worried?"

"I was." Madiha said.

"We were in an accident. A truck suddenly came from the right side." He winced as if experiencing it all over again.

"It crashed into us. I only broke my arm and got some bruises. But Aman-" His voice broke.

"He got the most impact. They said he is okay. But- but he hasn't woken up." He was crying now. Silent tears running down his cheeks.

"The doctors said- said that they don't know when- when he will wake up."

"Huh?" I asked. I couldn't understand what I was hearing. "What do you mean by that?"

I felt tears on my cheeks but I was too stunned to wipe them. Madiha guided me to a chair.

"It's all my fault. I should have sat in the back. If only- If only it was me." Rehaan said.

"Rehaan it's not your fault. Please don't blame yourself." Madiha said softly.

I kept on crying. "Where is he?" I asked barely in a whisper.

"Can I see him?" I asked again slightly louder now.

"The doctors are running some tests then we can." Rehaan said. His tears weren't stopping but neither were mine.

Madiha kept consoling us. Passing tissues and comforting words.

Someone knocked on the door. A nurse peeked in.

"Mr.Rehaan, you asked to be informed when you can meet Mr.Aman?"

Rehaan nodded hurriedly.

"You can see him now. Please be careful." She said and left.

Madiha helped Rehaan off the bed and we walked towards his room. My heart beating so fast I was sure everyone could hear it.

I opened the door and all three of us walked in. A doctor was waiting for us. He gestured us to sit down.

"Are you his family?" He asked.

Rehaan nodded. "I am his guardian."

The doctor nodded and looked through the papers he was holding. "Mr.Aman has a broken rib and some minor injuries." He started explaining.

"Luckily there is no damage to his head. Or limbs. His condition is stable now."

"Then why isn't he waking up?" Rehaan asked desparately.

"That's the problem. We can't quite figure it out. We did some tests but nothing seems out of the ordinary."

He paused maybe waiting for us to digest this. He then continued, "Since we don't know the problem we don't have a solution."

"So you don't know when he will wake up?" I asked. My voice shaky.

He shook his head. "We are concluding it as shock for now. We will let you know when we know something more." He said standing up. Ready to leave. To leave the people to their sorrows. He shook hands with Rehaan and nodded at us.

I realised I was crying again when a tear touched my lips. I wiped it, hurriedly. Not wanting Aman to see it, if he wakes up suddenly.

I kept looking at him. Hoping he would wake up and say it was all just a joke. To laugh and say he got me.

I walked towards him gingerly. He was hooked up to a bunch of machines. A steady beeping sound echoing in the room.

My whole body shook with sobs. The room filled with the sound of my crying.

Rehaan joined me. Sat down beside him. "I am so sorry." He said.

Rehaan's P.O.V.

I didn't knew what else to say. I promised him. I broke my promise.

I was waiting for Aman at the park. I brought a sweet dish my mom made. I am sure he would like it.

I jumped up as he came. But he looked sad, upset. He kept looking down at his feet. He didn't even greet me.

I knew something was wrong. I sat down silently beside him. "Are you okay?" I asked slowly.

He looked at me and then shook his head. I waited for him to say something.

"My dad- he- he is leaving us. He said he loved me but how can he when he is leaving? He loves someone else now. He wants a new family." He laughed.

"He must be bored with us now. He is leaving and my mom doesn't care. All she cares is about how much money he leaves for us." He looked at me before continuing.

"It's pathetic, isn't it? My mom wants to move to USA. Starting fresh, she says. I told her no. That I don't want to and you know what she said?"

He laughed again. "That I can stay then. Alone here. She doesn't care. She will arrange something. She said I am old enough. I can stay with the caretaker."

I hugged him. And it must be what he needed because he hugged me back tightly. "It's okay. Everything will be okay."

He laughed. A real laugh. Nothing sarcastic about it. "How? Will you take care of me? Protect me?"

"Sure. I will protect you. I promise." I said.

He smiled. "Thanks. I feel better now." He rolled his eyes.

I felt tears gather in my eyes as I thought about that day. The promise I made.

I didn't protect him. I am sitting here alright while he- I can't even think about it.

Madiha placed a hand on my back, comforting me. I felt grateful for it. I stood up silently and went back to my room.

I can't look at him anymore. So silent. I don't like it. I want him to shout at me. To laugh when I say stupid things.

Madiha came to see me after a while. "Alina is with him." She said sitting down.

I nodded. "She will take care of him." I said.

"Are you okay?" She asked.

I nodded again. Too drained to say anything more. I felt my eyes droop.

"You should rest now." She said guiding me to bed. She placed the blanket on top of me and sat down again.

"Aren't you leaving?" I asked.

"I am right here. Someone needs to take care of you too." She said.

I smiled. "You care about me?" It came out as a question.

"I do." I heard or maybe I was imagining it as I fell asleep.

_______________________________________

Hello everyone,

Be sure to vote and comment if you liked it.

Stay safe and healthy~
- Author