Already Gone - 7.

James's Parents ----------->

James.

I was lucky to spend the morning with Jamie. She still had hold of the blue bunny and refused to tell me anything about her dream. We watched a little Dora before some Mickey Mouse thing. I could see Mia and Clarice talking in the garden. I need to help her out of this sham of a marriage. “Jamie, I’m just heading into the kitchen okay.” She nodded, not taking her eyes off the TV. I pulled out my cell phone. Callum’s dad is a lawyer. I’m sure he could give me and Mia some advice. Callum promised to call him for me and congratulated me on Jamie.

Jamie was still watching the TV so I headed out into the garden to see the girls. “Hey ladies. So, I’ve made a call. My friend’s father is a lawyer. He’s going to get in touch with us and give us advice.” Mia smiled at me. “I’m going to see my parents and the family soon. I won’t be long Mia. I swear.”

“Tell them I said hi. And tell your mom I’m sorry. About your grandmother.” Jamie ran out straight to her mom. “Hey pretty girl. You hungry?” Jamie nodded. “Okay let’s get dressed and go find some breakfast.”

“Momma, when are we going home?” My heart broke.

“Um, honey. I don’t think we are. Do you not like it here?”

“I do momma. But isn’t Ryan lonely?”

“Ryan?” I asked. Curious as to why she didn’t call him dad.

“Ryan lives with us. He married momma but he’s not my daddy.”

“He’s not?” Mia asked. Her face was etched in confusion. Jamie shook her head and pointed at me.

“He is momma. He told me. He thought I was sleeping. But I wasn’t.” Jamie looked sad, like she was in trouble. Mia hugged her tight.

“Jamie.” I sighed, this is hard.

“It’s ok daddy. Momma loves you and so do I.”

                                           ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Being at my grandmother’s house was strange. People were crying everywhere. All I wanted to do was run home to my girls. My mom pulled me into the garden as soon as I had one foot in the door. “How was the beach house?”

“Full mom. I had people over. Listen we need to talk. You, me and dad. The sooner the better.”

“What’s wrong honey?”

“I saw Mia.” Mom smiled sympathetically. She’s the one that had the late night phone calls from me letting me talk. She was great throughout it all. Always there just to listen.

“Talk to me now honey.” She sat on a chair and motioned for me to sit with her. “Did you guys talk?”

“Mom, it’s a little more complicated. She’s staying with me at the beach house.” Mom looked surprised. She knew Mia was married. My dad walked out into the garden with Lucy. “Great you guys, come and sit here.” They took a seat next to mom on either side. I stood up and started pacing. I told dad and Lucy how Mia was staying with me. Lucy was too young to remember Mia. Dad shook his head.

“She’s a married woman James. I thought you both might have a little more respect for the vows she took.”

“Dad, he beats her okay. Her face is looking better today than it did yesterday. I want to protect her dad. Mom, you understand right?” Mom nodded. “Anyway, there’s something else. Remember that weekend I stole your car?”

“You were coming back here.” Dad’s face of thunder returned. He never forgot that weekend.

“Right. Anyway Mia was going to tell me something. When I let her down again she decided not to. She made everybody promise not to tell me. Even more when she found out I was going to college.” Lucy scoffed and muttered something. “If you were born a boy I’d kick your ass.” I pointed at her and she looked away. Mom glared at me and dad hit me round my head.

“Mia was pregnant.” Mom let out a little sob. Dad took a deep breath. “Mia had a little girl. She’s called Jamie. She’s at the beach house too.”

“So I’m an aunt?” Lucy asked. I nodded and closed my eyes. Mom stood up and walked to me. She hugged me. Dad hugged me too.

“When can we meet Jamie?” Dad was the first to ask.

                                          ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Mia

While James was gone, I took this opportunity to go home and grab more of mine and Jamie’s things. Cole was to drop me off and come for me in an hour. I threw my clothes in a suitcase. And yes I took the black dress. Jamie had a lot of clothes already. Clarice always kept spare sets at her place for when she stayed over. I reached in my pocket and put my engagement and wedding ring on the pillow of my bed.

I was in the bathroom when I heard the door shut downstairs. I looked at my watch. Cole wasn’t coming back for another fifteen minutes. And he would have had to knock... I turned around to see Ryan stood there looking furious. “Where the hell have you been?” I tried to speak but no words would leave my mouth. I saw the rage cross his face. He grabbed my hair and swung my head. It hit the tiled wall......