Already Gone - 13.

James POV

After a tough couple of weeks after Ryan’s passing, I thought Mia needed a relaxing day. My parents and Lucy were leaving for Boston in a few days so I arranged a spa day for Mia, Clarice, my mom and Mrs.  Cooper. That left me, Cole, my dad and Mr. Cooper to hang out. Jamie was with Mia's brother and Lucy was with my aunt.

I was sat with the guys at the back of the house when I heard it. Mia's IPod was on low playing old 90's music, it reminded me of the old days. Mia and I would slow dance to silence. I closed my eyes and drifted off to a day dream. That was cut short by Mr. Cooper pouring a cup of water over my head. I jumped out of my chair.

My dad, Mr. Cooper and Cole stood around laughing. "Those steaks won't cook themselves son." My dad pointed to the barbeque as Cole handed out the beers. I flipped the steaks, my mind wandering back to Mia.

"What are you thinking?" Cole stood next to me.

"About Mia."

"Still? You've been thinking of her for years!" He laughed.

"Yeah... She has that effect on me." I laughed and rubbed the back of my neck. "Jamie does too. She's just so...."

"So Mia?" Mr. Cooper asked. I nodded. "She sure is. They are lucky to have you in their life James."

I closed my eyes and thought back to when I first saw Mia with Jamie. I'd never thought of having a family, unless it was with Mia. "Um, Mr. Cooper?" he looked at me. I took a deep breath.

                                        ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

When Mia came back later that night she greeted me with that stunning smile and a kiss. "So dinner with the parents tomorrow?" She nodded, not taking her eyes from mine. I asked how her day was at the spa. She glowed with excitement as she told me how she's never felt so relaxed.

I carried her up to bed laughing. Before we went through the door I stopped. "I love you Mia. I just want you to know that you and Jamie are everything to me."

"I never said thank you." She looked at me in surprise. "For giving me Jamie. And for saving me." I kissed her gently and threw open the door.

I watched her sleep after we made love. She looked like an angel. The next morning, I didn't want to leave her. I slipped out of bed trying not to disturb her. I showered quickly and dressed in Jamie’s empty bedroom. Cole was picking me up down the street so she didn't wake up. Before I left, I wrote her a note.

'Good morning sleeping beauty, if I'm not here when you read this don't worry. Just got a few errands to run. All my love, always J x x x'

I stuck it to the mirror in the lounge. Silently, I left the house. When I reached the end of my street, Cole was already there waiting. "Hey man, you ready for this?" I nodded. I'd been ready since forever

An hour later, I had what I wanted. And a little extra. We stopped by Craig’s to pick up Jamie. She was so excited to see me, she leapt in my arms. Cole took us home, Jamie talked the whole way. "...and the lion went rawr but I wasn't scared!"

"Ten bucks says you're lying." Cole laughed making Jamie frown.

"We saw Bambi but it was really funny when Aunt Nina got scared at the spider." Cole laughed hard.

"Do you remember Nina Jones? She was smokin' in high school." He whispered as Jamie told a story about another animal.

We pulled up outside the house. I thanked Cole for his help; Jamie gave him a kiss and shuffled out of the car. Mia was still asleep, it was only eleven am. Jamie ran upstairs to wake her up. I laughed as I heard her tiny feet run across the floor followed by a scream.

Mia came downstairs carrying Jamie listening to the lion story. She kissed my cheek as she sat Jamie on the table. I poured some lucky charms in two dishes. One for me, one for Jamie. Mia raised an eyebrow as milk spilled from my mouth and down my chin. "There's the scrawny kid I knew." I laughed and threw a charm at her.

The rest of the afternoon was great. Me and my girls went shopping. We went with the intention of buying Jamie a dress to wear for dinner tonight. Jamie will now be wearing a princess jasmine costume. Mia had chosen a green dress with a black belt sash type, thing around the waist.

I showered first. Mia bathed Jamie. I got Jamie dressed as Mia showered. When Mia was finally ready, she took my breath away. She added soft curls to her blonde hair. She smiled at me and Jamie. As they got in my car, I nervously checked my pocket. It was still there.

                                       ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

It was a full house at my grandmother's. Both sets of parents, Lucy, Clarice and Cole, Craig and Nina, even Callum and his parents flew in for the week. Jamie was excited to see everyone, especially Lucy. When I introduced Mia to Callum’s father she threw her arms around him and thanked him.

"You okay?" Callum asked as we walked in the garden.

"Don't be worried man, its Mia!" Cole laughed. I let out a nervous laugh as I checked my pockets again.

                                         ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

My dad and the guys kept throwing me knowing glances. To be honest it was making me nervous. When my dad proposed a toast I knew my time was coming.

"Firstly, thanks to everyone for coming. It’s great to spend our last weekend home with you all. It’s been....a rollercoaster of emotions the last few weeks. We came to say goodbye to a loved one and we gained two. Mia, you've grown into a beautiful young woman and Jamie is a beautiful little girl. We understand the secrecy but now we look forward to the future with our granddaughter." Mia smiled at my dad with tears in her eyes. "And as I'm useless at this, that's all." Everybody laughed.

"I would like to say something." I let go of Mia’s hand and stood up. "What my dad said was right. I never actually thought that I'd be here again. I lived in fear of coming home and Mia kicking my ass." everybody laughed. Mia frowned and playfully slapped my leg. "No seriously, I've never been happier now I have Mia back in my life. And I have my princess Jamie too. My life has meaning."

I pulled a box out of my pocket and the gasps from the women at the table would be heard on the east coast. I turned and smiled at her. She looked so cute. "Jamie, do you know what this is?"

"A ring daddy."

"This is for you. I promise that I'll be the best daddy I can be. I'll be there when you cry, when you laugh and when you just want a hug. If that's ok with you?" She nodded and I put the little ring with the initial j on her finger. She gave me a hug and shown Lucy straight away.

As everyone was paying attention to Jamie I reached in my other pocket. "Mia?" All eyes were on me as I dropped to one knee. "You've had my heart for eight years. You are the first and last person I think of everyday. You make my life complete and I would love to spend the rest of my life with you and Jamie. Mia, will you do me the honour of becoming my wife?"