Already Gone - 8.

Mia's Parents ------------>

James

I paced the floor at my grandmother’s. I was desperate to leave. I wanted to see Mia. See Jamie’s smiling face. The doorbell rang frantically. Mom and dad looked confused. I rolled my eyes and went to answer the door. Clarice was stood there crying. “Clarice what’s wrong?” I reached out and pulled her to me.

“She went to get clothes and things. She was supposed to call us. She hasn’t called. I’m so worried.” I turned and saw my mom talking with some distant relative. I called her over and she excused herself and came to me and Clarice.

“Mom I’m sorry. I’ve got to go.” I kissed her cheek. “I’ll call you later ok. Don’t worry.”

We jumped in Clarice’s car and she gave me directions to Mia’s house. There were no cars outside. Cole’s car came screeching around the corner behind us. I turned to Clarice. “Take Cole’s car and go home. Wait for us to call you okay.” She nodded and got out of the car. Cole passed her his keys and she drove away.

Slowly we walked to the front door. I gently pushed it. It was locked. Cole pointed to the lounge window. It was slightly open enough for us to push it up further and climb in. There was glass all over the floor. A table smashed to pieces against a wall. The TV smashed. I picked up a picture frame and turned it over. It was Mia and Ryan’s wedding day. I closed my eyes and placed the picture back down.

The kitchen was no better either. Plates smashed all over the floor. “This is how it was when I brought Jamie back.” He shook his head and pointed upstairs. Opening a door we were in Jamie’s bedroom. There was a framed Dodgers shirt on the wall with Jamie’s name on the back. I smiled. My favourite baseball team.

“James!” Cole shouted my name. I ran out of my daughter’s bedroom. Cole was sat in the doorway of the bathroom, holding Mia. Her eyes were closed. Her head was bleeding. I picked her up out of his arms and ran downstairs carrying her.

I climbed in the back of the car with her and Cole drove us to the hospital. Cole shouted for a doctor or anybody to help us. Doctors came from nowhere and took Mia from me. “Please, please, help... Please...” they rushed her into a room and closed the door. I was covered in her blood. Putting my head in my hands I slid down the wall and dissolved into tears. Cole gave the doctors all her information. He called her parents. He called Clarice. Then he called the police.

                                        ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Clarice was first here. She brought me a clean shirt. Jamie was coming with Mia’s parents. We didn’t want the blood to scare her. The police were next. Finally, but within minutes of Clarice arriving, came Mia’s parents and Jamie. “Mrs. Cooper.”

“James. How are you? Have you seen her?” I shook my head. Jamie rubbed her eyes. She’s been sleeping.

“Daddy?” Mrs. Cooper looked at me stunned. I nodded. She passed Jamie to me and I held her tightly. “What’s wrong with mommy?”

“Mommy’s... um.” I struggled finding the words. “Mommy, fell over. She has a doctor looking at her now and when she feels better, you and me will come and take mom home.” Clarice put her hand on my shoulder in comfort.

“Come on Jay Rae, let’s go and find some juice for you.” Jamie looked at me with sad eyes before walking hand in hand with Clarice to the hospital store. I looked at Mia’s parents.

“I should have known. I knew something wasn’t right with this whole situation.” Her father rubbed his head.

“Kevin.” Her mother tried to stop him pacing.

“No Marie. Look at him. Look at Jamie. Did you never wonder why she never had another child with Ryan? Thank God she didn’t.” Mr. Cooper turned to look at me. He grabbed my hand and shook it.

“Thank God it’s you.” Mrs. Cooper came and hugged me as Jamie came running around the corner.

Tonight was going to be a long night.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The next morning I woke up alone on a chair outside her room. I found a doctor. There’s been no change. I pulled out my cell and called my mom. “Hey mom, I’m sorry I didn’t call yesterday.”

“I’m at the beach house, where are you?”

“At the hospital. He attacked her mom. She’s not woken up.” I bit my lip to stop myself from crying again.

“We’re coming honey. See you in a few minutes.”

My parents and Lucy got here just after Mia’s parents and Jamie. Mom stopped when she saw me with Jamie in my lap. I whispered to Jamie who they were and asked if she wants to say hi. She nodded and walked over to my mom.

“Hi my name is Jamie.” My mom burst into tears and Jamie hugged her.

All I could think of is Mia’s face if she saw this.