Already Gone - 14.

Mia

I couldn’t believe it. For years I dreamed of this day. He was talking to me, hope in his eyes. I couldn’t hear what he was saying over my heart beating loudly in my chest. His mouth stopped moving and a smile crept on his face. I looked at my mom who was wiping away tears. My dad who was looking so proud at James. Cole was whispering something to Clarice. I smiled at James. Knowing what I would say.

“Yes.” It was barely a whisper. He smiled as he slowly slipped the ring on my finger. I wrapped my arms around his neck as he lifted me off the chair. As he spun me around I threw my head back laughing. When he lowered me down I was dizzy. I looked at the people sat around the table, my family. My mom, Clarice and Mrs. Shaw ran over to me to look at the ring. As they looked I turned to see my fiancé receiving congratulatory pats on the back from the guys.

Dinner resumed to normality when James announced he was starving making everybody laugh. I couldn’t seem to stop smiling. After nine, James took Jamie upstairs to bed. She didn’t want to leave us but when bribed with a surprise the next morning, she co-operated. She kissed her grandparents good night before saying goodnight to everybody else.

“You are spoiling her.” I surprised James as he closed the bedroom door on Jamie. He shrugged.

“I’m her dad, I have spoiling rights.” He laughed. He took my hands and pulled me into the bathroom. “Just like high school right?” I closed my eyes and nodded. He put both hands on the side of my face and tilted my head to the side. His lips lightly touched my neck making me shiver. I could feel him smile. There was a knock on the door interrupting us. James cursed under his breath making me laugh.

“Gross.” Lucy looked unimpressed as we opened the door.

“Oh come on Luce, and don’t tell mom.” I laughed harder as I pushed him out of the door. I turned to Lucy and hugged her. She smiled at me. There was no need for words. We had our own, girl understanding.

                                             ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

After dinner, we left the parents and all headed back to the beach house. The guys got a little fire going as me and Clarice grabbed some beers and carried them in a cooler.

“So Mia. Is this the end of Cooper?” Cole smiled at James as he asked me. I nodded slowly not quite understanding what was going on. “You owe me fifty bucks.”

“That was years ago Cole. I don’t think I do.”

“You’re right, I need to calculate the interest.” Cole, Clarice, Callum and James laughed. I found myself feeling frustrated at this joke I knew nothing about. “Mia, do you remember when I went to New York after graduation?”

“She should do, she spent every day with me waiting for you to call to say he knew about Jamie.” Clarice laughed. I glared at her.   It wasn’t funny then and I wasn’t laughing now. “Relax Mia, he knows now.” She said sarcastically with a smirk.

“Ok Mia, when Cole came to see James and I and to help us unpack, James here thought you were now Mia Valentine. Cole told him how you decided to keep your name as Cooper.”

She’ll always be a Cooper though. Unless a Shaw asked her to be his wife.” James said with his head down. I could see a blush creep on his face through the flickers of the flames. “That’s what he said. I never forgot.” I sat on his lap and kissed him. We stayed out drinking on the beach until dawn.

                                        ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Whoever came up with the bright idea the sunglasses help a hangover was wrong. We were walking through a pet store on the way to pick up Jamie. We had narrowed the choice of rabbits down from four to two. All I could think of is getting in the car and driving to McDonalds.

“Mia, which one?” James asked for like the millionth time. I knew we should have brought Jamie with us. I slumped back over the hutch and lifted my sunglasses.

“We’ll take the white one.” The assistant lifted the rabbit out and put the poor thing in a travel box. Clarice carried it back to the car. When we pulled up outside the house, James’s mom was outside watering the flowers.

“Mia!” She shouted to me and I died a little inside.

“Hey Mrs. Shaw. What’s up?”

“It’s Carolyn, Mrs. Shaw makes me feel old.” She laughed a little as she put the hose down. “Are you okay?”

“Rough morning.” I whispered taking a sip of my water. “How was Jamie?”

“Good as gold. I wish Lucy and James was that good when they were her age. You have done an incredible job of raising her.” She smiled at me and greeted James as he walked past her. “Anyway, me and Preston are leaving tomorrow. My mother left me this house. I have many beautiful memories here. I sat and talked with Preston and your parents last night after you left. Callum’s father has said he will draw up the papers. I want to sign this house over to James and you.”

I choked on my water. “Oh my, Carolyn, just.... wow! Thank you.”

“Well, from what I understand your house isn’t really a home. Here you have a home.” I dropped my bottle and hugged her, all the while repeating thank you. When James came out of the house his mom filled him in and he hugged her also. We would stay at the beach house for a few more days then make the move to the large house.

Clarice walked over carrying the travel box with the rabbit inside. Carolyn looked inside and told her to let it loose in the back yard. “I’ll send Preston and the boys for a hutch.” It wasn’t long before Jamie came running.

“Momma! There’s a bunny in the garden! Momma!”

“I know baby, the bunny is yours for being a good girl.” She grinned at me before running back inside. She ran back outside to me

“Thank you momma.”

“Go and thank daddy, he promised you a bunny remember”

                                   ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“He’s called Tyson.” Jamie said proudly as we watched the guys attempt to put the hutch together. I asked why Tyson. “Coz, daddy was talking with Cole and they agree Tyson is the best. Callum says Floyd but daddy says he has no idea what he’s talking about.”

“What were they talking about?”

“Names for bunny silly.” She sighed and stomped away. I couldn’t help but laugh at the sight of my little girl shouting orders to the guys. When it was time to go home, she cried. Screaming not to go. We told her we would be back tomorrow and nanny was looking after Tyson. Carolyn promised Tyson would not be alone tonight. She fell asleep just before we got home.

When I made it upstairs I stopped, feeling a little dizzy. The events of the last few days, weeks even, catching up with me. Tomorrow was going to be the start of a more relaxed Mia.