Chapter Fifteen (Nerida):

Nothing could stop me from prolonging the inevitable. With Asami and I in Japan, we had a means to travel. The Ashanian Embassy in the United States provided Akane with an Ashanian passport. For safety reasons, the entire royal family traveled by private plane.

Angela was also on that plane here. The thirteen-hour time difference did little justice to coordinate schedules. Given the location we were in, it was impossible to have people up at odd hours based on their locations.

As for me, I moved myself into a spot in Yokohama. Rented an apartment on the fly. To make it easier on myself. Secondly for Baratos. Compared to our condo in Baltimore, we had a smaller space in the Takashima district. Furniture was also something completely different.

"So, this is how Japanese people live," Baratos remarked as we knelt on mats before a kotatsu. "Different compared to the extravagance we live in."

This apartment was nice. Struck a pretty good deal with the landlord, who was elated to work with us. An older Japanese woman who still dressed in style. Looks a lot like Yoko Ono.

Anyway, this apartment looked small but highly clean and advanced in technology. More technical and computerized in style compared to the simple but gentrified condominium that Baratos and I lived in. we had a futon for a bed and a few little closets to store our belongings in.

"Pretty much," I replied. "This would have been my life had I continued to grow up here."

True. Had I not left Japan, I probably would have been known as Princess Yumi Minamoto. Music would not have made it into my world. Ashley Asha would have been no more than a mere entertainer I'd briefly glance at without a care in the world. Vesta and Lisa would have been complete strangers. So would Estella.

Baratos sympathetically took my hand. "Maybe you needed to come out here. To do what you can to learn a little more about yourself."

"I've grown to accept the fact that I don't have any memory whatsoever," I replied. "You should talk to my sister when she gets here. Asami knows more about life in Japan. She actually grew up out here."

I remember. The day I returned home from school to learn that I was no longer the only kid. Still did my thing creating music and did what I could to act normally. But then my parents took time off to be with her.

Much to my surprise, she began interacting with me. I had to put away my music for a few days to show her around Orion. We went places, and I even got to spend more time with my parents for once.

Lisa even took notice. When the student council at school decided to get aggressive in response to my lack of after school activity participation, she made an announcement. To congratulate me on becoming an older sister. They lightened up for a few weeks of course, but it didn't last.

Vesta already knew though. Then again, I wasn't aware nor was I supposed to be aware that she knew. To my classmates and peers, I hardly revealed much about myself. Her rendition of Princess Yumi Minamoto was obviously that I don't run with the crowd. Metaphorically speaking.

Baratos smiled and let go. "I'm glad to know what you're accepting of it. You appear to accept many things."

"I've lived through a lot before I met you," I replied. "Including suffering amnesia."

True. Growing up as Nerida Stanwell in the normal world as a typical person was uneventful other than rebelling against Vesta. Good old Vesta Bennett. Also known as Vesta Capris. We had gone through so much together following the invasion.

The famous Ashley Asha was secretly in Admiral Bennett's custody. For some reason it was never part of the news. Never circulated with any newspaper despite all the hype and curiosity. Just a few offline copies of court papers.