Chapter 16

Amanda’s POV:

I stand in front of the front door of my home, watching dad’s car leaving slowly.

“What are you doing there, sweetie?” Mom notices my weird action. I walk to her and take her hand and sit on the sofa with her.

 “Mom, can I ask you something?” I grin, asking back without answering her question. 

“What’s that?” she smiles while I stare into her beautiful sky blue eyes. She’s so beautiful and that’s no wonder why Adam Levine could fall into this woman Christina Aguilera.

 “Can I invite someone home?” I ask. “Of course. Who’s that? Um, let me guess,” she nods and put her forefinger on her chin, trying to guess who the person that I’m going to invite is. I wait for her answer.

“Is it that boy Zack, your boyfriend?” she smiles brightly. She guessed right, and now I’m blushing. “So, what do you think?” I put my face down. I don’t want to see mom’s cheeky smile.

“He looks nice. I think I like him. Why don’t you introduce him to me? Invite him home is a great idea,” she says and now I turn my head to her. “Are you serious mom?” I widen my eyes. I can’t believe her taste is far better than dad. Dad is lame – how can he think Zack is a bad guy?

“But why dad hates him so much?” that question finally slips out of my lips. This time, I don’t want to keep it by myself. I want to tell mom everything as I believe she’s the best listener for me and… dad, of course. I can’t keep it by myself anymore.

 She places her hand on mine and grips it tightly.

“He does not hate him; he just thinks that the boy is a total jerk. So maybe you need to turn his thought – make him feel great about Zack. I know sooner or later, he’ll like your Zack,” her words turn me up. “Mom, you are really supportive,” I say while opening my arms and give mom a big hug. She hugs me back. I always love her hugging me.

Suddenly, the door bell rings.

“Ooh, who’s that?” mom says as she tries to get up, opening the door.

“Never mind, I’ll get that,” I pull mom back to her seat and I stand up – getting the door. I open the door, revealing Zack in front of me, smiling sweetly to me. “Zack, you came here finally,” I take her hand and bring him in. I intend to introduce mom to him and vice versa.

“Zack, this is–,”

“Christina Aguilera, of course,” he says, cutting my words. “Yeah, and she’s my mom,” I smile to mom. Mom doesn’t say anything, she just smiles. “Come on, take a seat,” I offer him a seat next to me on the sofa as I throw my butt in the sofa.

“Um, let me prepare something for you guys,” mom stands up, and leaves.

“So, where’s your Adam, no, I mean, your dad?” Zack asks, a smile curves on his handsome face. “Band meeting and something I don’t quite care too much,” I grin, making him to laugh too.

“How about your mom, you hadn’t done anything bad to her anymore, right?” he grins. That question is quite cynical but I’ll try to take it positively. “Of course not, I love her so damn much now. Now I really know how it feels about having a mother,” I answer; still grinning even I don’t know what’s so funny about it. “Great, that’s my girl,” he pinches my cheek, laughing cutely. Oh god, I can’t resist of his cuteness.

“Awh, Zack, stop it,” I try to make his hand off my cheek but I can’t.

“Am I disturbing you guys?” mom’s voice suddenly shocks me and Zack, of course. She puts a tray of drinks on the coffee table. “Mom,” I turn my face into her while my cheeks are blushing, badly, I guess. Zack suddenly takes her hand off my cheek and smile sheepishly.

We have a nice chat between me, mom and Zack. I am really glad mom seen to like Zack very much. And I don’t think Zack hates Christina Aguilera, but just don’t let him fall to his own girlfriend’s mom. Oh no, that will never happen! NEVER.

­Suddenly, we heard a car stopped in front of the house. Oh god, it must be dad. What I gotta do? What I gotta do? I’m dead. I’m dead.

Mom stands up from her seat, going to open the door for dad. Zack acts really cool, like dad doesn’t even hate him at all.

“Honey, who’s home?” he asks before he enters but I can hear it from inside. “Amanda’s friend. Come in, meet him,” mom smiles as dad steps his feet into the house.

He gives Zack a look that really stabs me inside. I hate the way dad looks at Zack like that.

“Um, Amanda, I think I should go home now. Anyway, thanks for inviting me to your house. Thanks for the delicious smoothies, Christina,” he smiles, slinging back her bass case to his back. He leaves dad a smile but then dad doesn’t even react. Dad… why do you treat Zack like that?

As soon as Zack left, Dad crosses his arms and smiles, cynically.

“I don’t know, how many times did I need to tell you? I-HATE-THAT-BOY!” Dad starts to speak and his lines are killing me so much inside. Okay, I promised to myself I won’t be rude anymore but this time, he’s challenging me.

“Dad, why do you hate him so much? He doesn’t even do anything to you!” I stand up and start to argue with dad. Oh god, I hate fighting with him because he’s my dad and he’s always win. “You ask me why? Because he’s not a boy that I want him to be yours and you are still studying. You can’t be all lovey dovey when you’re in school. It’ll affect your study,” he continues with a really serious tone.

“What do you think are we, in seventh grade? Dad, you’ll never understand me,” I start to burst into tears and run upstairs to my room.

I slam the door so hard and lean against the door. Ugh, I hate it when it happens again.

I love dad, but why can’t he understand me so much? He’s more experienced in love better than myself – he wrote love songs, sang love songs and everything about him is love. But why he messes up my love life like this?

But, no matter what happens, I’ll make dad likes Zack very much.