Chapter 23

Chapter 23

Adam’s POV:

Christina lands her hand on my hand and grips it. I turn my head to her. Her eyes are like telling me to calm down.

“Give him a chance, honey,” she whispers. I just can’t let her down. I promised her before. I can’t let her down. I take a really deep breath just to throw the feeling away but it just keep sticking on my heart.

Hatred.

“Zacky, take a seat,” Christina calls sweetly. I’m not jealous, but I hate it. I hate him. I hate everything around here now. I just try to look super calm, try to take everything calmly. Don’t let the hatred and all that shows. Remember Adam, don’t let her down. Don’t let her down.  

The boy sits on a chair really right in front of me. Shit. I feel my vision all disturbed.

“Adam, say hi to your future-bassist. This is Zack,” Christina takes my hand to move my attention. I lift my head and look straight into his hazel eyes. I can feel the electric shock that shoots from my eyes into his nervous stare. I think I’ll win if this is a game. I fake a smile to him, just to please Christina, not this boy. Never.

                He gives his hand to shake, but I don’t take it. See how big my ego is.

“So you think you are really great enough to be the temporary bassist for my band?” I blurt. This line keeps whispering in my ears to be said and it is fun to make people you really hate feels down. Amanda turns her head to me and widens her eyes – sending a ‘Dad, what do you think you are saying?’ look into me but I don’t give a damn about it.

I won’t let this chance wasted.

He puts down his hand and smiles calmly, swallowing all my words I’ve said really positively. “For the sake of your band and your daughter, I think I can make it, Mr. Adam Levine,” he says while smiling, faking his nervousness. I nod and stretch a cynical smile.

“Um, the foods are getting cold, I think. Let’s eat,” Christina tries to snatch us from our cold conversation. She put some mashed potatoes on my plate. I take the fork and spoon on the sides of the plate and poke my roasted chicken and stuff it in my mouth.

Damn, I love this. Christina never fails in cooking.

“This is delicious. I love it,” Zack suddenly speaks, complimenting Christina’s cooking before I could. I don’t know why I feel like he’s taking every chance for me to say anything.

“Thank you. I know you’ll love it,” Christina lets out a laugh.

“Amanda, maybe you should learn how to cook like this from your mom,” Zack nudges Amanda’s arm and give her a smile, a smile that burns my heart. Ugh, I just… hate it.

Tensions.

---                                                                                                                             

I sit on the couch in a mini studio in my house and take the guitar. The mini studio is complete with all the instruments like drum, keyboard and microphones and all that. This is the second place where my band records any songs. And this is is the second space I love in my house after my bedroom.

Christina sits next to me and Amanda sits next to Christina.

“So, show me what you got,” I say to Zack who is standing in front of me with his red bass on his hand. He smiles nervously to me.