Chapter 20

Amanda’s POV:

I turn my head to him while running my fingers through my hair – waiting him to answer this goddamn freaking question, for him.

“He has no personality,” dad continues but I can clearly hear the hesitation in his voice. I know he doesn’t even sure with his words.

“Unacceptable,” I say nonchalantly.

“He has no direction of life, he has nose piercing!” Dad answers again and this time his answer tickles me. RIDICULOUS. People with nose piercing have no direction of life? Stupid!

“Dad, your answers are ridiculous. Just accept the fact that I-LOVE-HIM and just accept him. It’s simple. He’s the total opposite of what you are thinking!” I start to shout every piece of my heart that breaks just because of dad hating my boyfriend.

Dad’s jaws fell slowly, but then he set his jaws back.

“You know what, dad; he hurts a lot knowing that you hate him so much. You must know how it felt when I despised Christina at the first place,” I say, trying to soften his heart, his ego heart.

“Don’t call her by her name, she’s your mom,” dad corrects me. I may sound rude but this time, I won’t give a damn about it so much.

“Okay, I mean, mom,” I correct, shrugging my shoulders.

He stops – losing his words. A long pause between us and I always hate it.

“You’re too overprotective,” I confess, telling him the truth that always blocking us to be all lovey dovey like when I was younger.

“I… I’m not overprotective, I’m just concerned. I don’t want to you to get pregnant or hurt because of the jerk. You won’t understand the love life, you’re too young for this,” he preaches, like a preacher and I don’t like hearing it.

“All guys want is just to get laid,” he continues, sounding like a concerned father like I never know before.  A really experienced about womanizing, I know him.

“But not Zack. He’s not like you,” I try to deny. “He likes me for who I am and I know he’s not that type! It’s not what he wants!”

“Wow, really? Do you know what the fuck you are talking about now?” he starts to curve a cynical smile. I can see sweat dripping down his forehead because now, I can really feel the room starts to heat.

A strange heat in the room. The anger and all that.

"I know, Dad. Guys want sex, that’s a given. If I didn't date guys who wanted sex I'd end up in a convent or a lesbian, and I'm really not too keen on dating girls. Maybe you should trust my judgment that sex isn't the ONLY thing Zack wants, and maybe you should also trust my judgment to not sleep with him just because we like each other. You can't protect me from the world forever, and I'm 17, so if you don't let me date a little bit now what the hell am I going to do when I'm out on my own?!" I explain in a half-shout. I don’t want to be a lame girl with no boyfriend or date or something!

“But if you just got to know him, you’re going to love him. Trust me,” my voice starts to tremble saying the line. I don’t know why suddenly it tugs looking into dad’s beautiful eyes.

I know that there in his mind is ‘That asshole just wants to fuck my sweet innocent little girl’.

Suddenly, I heard the door opens. Dad is the first one to walk to the door. I follow him to the door. Finally, there’s really lifesaver gonna get me out of this fucking place with dad.  I don’t want to be with the one who loves to argue with me about the one I love in this place like this again.

“Amanda?” Zack’s jaws fell seeing me. I am quite shocked to see him. I try to look super cool in front of him even I know my hair had gone all messy and my T-shirt had gone all sweating. He curves a quick smile at me and dad.

He just saved us, you see that, dad?

“Adam Levine?” he asks but then he lets out a ‘pfft’ seeing dad. Maybe he’s thinking like ‘What? The Maroon 5 front man stuck in my school janitor room?

“Zack, how do you know I’m in here?” I try to get Zack’s attention.

“I just finished my band practice and heard some strange argument from this place. So, I just brave myself to open it. Luckily, I found you,” he says, curving a sweet, caring smile.

But, how will he feel if he knows that the topic we were arguing is about him?

Before I could say anything, dad snatches my arm and pulls me out of this place. I just can’t do anything. His grip on my arm is burning me, so bad. Zack waves me goodbye but I can see the bewilderment in his face, to dad’s stupid action.

I throw myself into the car and set my jaws hard.

Silence is the melody all the way home.

Dad, whether you like it or not, I already have my own judgment about Zack and you don’t need to be all protective to it.